British Army Mark V/V* Military Bicycles

MILCYCLIST 3826

I am trying to identify manufacturers by frame numbers for the above machines.  If any member has a Mark V/ V* would you please let me know the frame number and any other distinguishing marks?   Most manufacturers fitted a small transfer and WD arrow to the sloping down tube.    PM me if you prefer.

Hi. @MILCYCLIST 3826

I did a similar thing for US G519 WW2 Columbia and Huffman bikes. It takes a lot of searching to get a decent sample size of frame numbers. I've located about 70 of each maker.

Anyway, to help you on youe quest: T105245, and T70190 is a MkV*, by BSA I think.

CABE

Edit: Reading through, I think you've been there already (-:

Good Luck,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Interesting, I'm slowly working on 2 MK V's ex Belgium army (stamped ABL, for Armee Belgique, Leger), and on one I noticed an inspection guy's stamp (sadly overstamped by the Belgium postwar army!), not seen that before on bicycles, lots were done on British motorcycles though. see below pictures of the numbers, let me know if you find out something, there's no transfers to be found on the frames.

Cheers,

Lex

001a.jpg

001b.jpg

002a.jpg

002b.jpg

003a.jpg

003b.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

• 3 weeks later...

This is my MkV* BSA.    Part of a batch which camed in from Ireland some years ago.

No obvious number unless I am looking in the wrong place.  The saddle is a copy of the original some of the bikes were fitted with.   If anyone is making any WW2 pattern Rifle Clips I would be interested.

Bike 1.JPG

Bike 2.JPG

Bike 3.JPG

Bike 4.JPG

Bike 6.JPG

Edited by REME 245
  • Like 1

Nice! I will add it to my database. It was suggested by someone here that the the T8 numbers were made by Enfield, but only a picture of a frame with Enfield transfers on it, and a number starting with T8 to back it up.

The more numbers and details we can accumulate, the more of a pattern we can see, might take years, but I have done so succesfully with Welbikes.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling

And just when you have distilled a theory after dozens of specimens researched, someone will show you a T8-numbered frame with original Raleigh transfer... 😆

Amazing those numbers weren't recorded somewhere before, but I would love to know more about my bike like maker and approx. date of manufacture.

• Like 1