Mystery Object No.46

fv1609

OK. From looking at the photograph, the instructor is in Anti-Aircraft (Air defence of GB badge). The Women have what looks like signals badges on their sleeves. Therefore I suggest they are being instructed in how to use microphones or headsets correctly for Radar sites.

OK. From looking at the photograph, the instructor is in Anti-Aircraft (Air defence of GB badge). The Women have what looks like signals badges on their sleeves. Therefore I suggest they are being instructed in how to use microphones or headsets correctly for Radar sites.

There is a strand of truth in what you say, I need to go back to source & check out to what extent. Back later on!

Robert well deduced, you are pretty well correct.

This is Lt Col W F N Watson RAEC Staff Officer No. 1 Group giving elocution exercises. In 1954 he travelled to regular & TA units of Anti-Aircraft Command in the SE. The article says "Students are told that bad enunciation is largely due to carelessness & the English tendency to speak with a rigid jaw & a stiff upper lip as though they had a pipe clenched between their teeth." The class here were receiving jaw loosening exercises.

Yep makes sense! I've done comms courses, some people are imposible to understand. We have one guy who when he makes an emergency call on the radio, Centre com phone the office and say you talk to him , we can't understand a word. I've seen grown men throw things about in frustation, quite funny , unless the poor sod's in real troible.

Once its explained, I can see the sense of this excercise,..................did have me scratching my head, though; (esp, as I thought, early on the instructor was RASC :roll:)

Yes I wasn't sure whether someone might have thought it was RAMC, given the jpg title might have confused some.