end of the affair

Snapper

I parted company with the army 30 years ago today. I was eighteen and had wanted to be a soldier as far back as I could remember. Alas a number of misfortunes in childhood affected my health and I was illequipped for the enterprise. I got in OK but things went from bad to worse and I ended up back in grey old London full of regrets which have never completely gone away. I think about it almost every day, but life has it's way of making up for losses. Coming out lead me to get myself self-educated and eventually to make best use of my alleged talents. Que sera sera.

I parted company with the army 30 years ago today. I was eighteen and had wanted to be a soldier as far back as I could remember. Alas a number of misfortunes in childhood affected my health and I was illequipped for the enterprise. I got in OK but things went from bad to worse and I ended up back in grey old London full of regrets which have never completely gone away. I think about it almost every day, but life has it's way of making up for losses. Coming out lead me to get myself self-educated and eventually to make best use of my alleged talents. Que sera sera.

Well on the upside Mark at least you followed your dream and joined the army for how ever long it was. How much worse would you have felt if you had never joined up and missed your chance to at least experience army life.

Well on the upside Mark at least you followed your dream and joined the army for how ever long it was. How much worse would you have felt if you had never joined up and missed your chance to at least experience army life.

Like ME :cry:

Like ME :cry:

Same here Mark, never thought off regular army but was very interested in joining the TA when in my mid twentys but kids came along and things get put off and before you know it its to late and your to old.

Mark, if you knew then what you know now, you wouldn't be the person you are. You tried it , didn't work. I know the feeling but a diffrent service.

The last Boy service entry to the Royal Navy at HMS Ganges was 14th January 1972, and guess who one of the Nozzer's was? Life was in turmoil at the time after my Farther's sudden death, so probably it wasn't a good idea, but I did, 9 months taught me wrong place, but it made me grow up, so there was a point.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived to join the Army piratically all my young life ,

went to Sutton Coalfield for my three days induction my father was so proud. Came home changed, my mind joined a funfair had a truly mind opening summer with the fair crew, moved to south UK been here ever since.

One minor glinch was offered a job as a camp guard, £500 a week (swiss bank account) tax free was told it would be overseas but untill the police came knocking did not realise i had signed up as a mercanary soldier for Angola in 1975 :shake: :shake:

never really regretted it.

Ashley

Frog in your throat?

Suck on a fishermans friend *ahem*

I used to have a girlfriend who eat those and Victory Vs by the packet! :shake: Everytime I kissed her afterwards the Chloroform smell knocked me out (I know it's to much to hope for, but no birth control jokes PLEASE!!!)

This is all getting very undignified. What was the old line? "He's uncouth...couth him". Yes, well I never had a Fisherman's Friend and certainly never a Fisherman's Pie. I think we've all gone a bit off topic since I started this thread. So I am bowing out. You lot can be as yobbish as you like and you can keep your bicycles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this, you have, in some small way, made me feel a lot better.

You were all very tolerant about my poppy posting, so I don't want to cause any more controversy, so let's just say that my view of a monarchy is: The head of state should be elected. I know that this out of step with the majority view of this country, nonetheless it is something I feel passionately about.

I was in the ATC from the age of thirteen to seventeen. When I was fifteen, a road accident put me in hospital for quite a long stay. My school, gave me one to one tuition, but only when a housemaster was available. I was then offered a return to my school, but would have to drop down a class in order to catch up.

In the meantime, the CO of my ATC squadron, had visited me on a number of occasions, he had put a word in with RAF recruiting office, I was visited, in hospital by an RAF recruiter, and asked if I would be interested in going to their training school, where I would re-study for my, then known as GCE's, and if successful, the RAF would sponser me through A levels, and onto their University, at the end of which I would become a Pilot Officer.

I thanked them and declined, explaining that I wasn't interested in joining the armed forces.

The real reason was that swearing an oath of allegiance to the crown stuck in my craw so much, I just couldn't do it.

I won't say that I have regretted it all my life, because I have been very fortunate, but if I could turn the clock back............

You are correct - we don't want a debate on the monarchy on this site and the Mods will terminate it; but I'll say this. As we grow older we learn stuff. My view on the monarchy, for the record, is ambivalent. I admire the Queen a great deal but have little love for her successors. So my point is when anyone takes an oath of alliegance by necessity rather than belief, they could and should substitute the physical person and the institution of monarchy (in this case) with that person or institution being a representation of our country and all that YOU hold dear about it in your heart. Your images of it will always be different to the next person. I think it is a tragedy that you passed up on a career opportunity over this issue, but respect your decision. Your principles are your own. Long may it be the case.

Well I'll go for the Ministry of Defence Gaurd Service credo. Honesty, Integrity, Impartiality and Common Sense. The last one is the most difficult :roll: See no religions or political views required :-D

Trouble is,.........the politicians 'dig the holes',...........and others have to fill them. :whistle: