Maxson M45 Quadmount Motor Hot

Hi all, 

I am currently restoring an M45 Quadmount anti-aircraft gun and having some issues with the motor. 

The 12v 100amp motor has just been reconditioned and works really well with no load, no smoke or anything.

When the motor is under load with the gearboxes and pulleys attached the motor begins to smoke after about 30 seconds pulling around 9.5v during operation. It has just been reconditioned so not expecting it to get so hot so quickly. I will be calling the people who fixed the motor on Monday, but wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this issue or can help.

Here is a link to a video showing the mount in operation and subsequent smoking motor. 

https://youtu.be/rPkFfrKya6I

Thanks, 

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

I've found one guy in the Netherlands who has a few bits which he sent me, but recently haven't heard back from him so not sure how reliable he is. Jeepest has a few bits too I think. Like you I imagine I'm looking for all the small bits!

I think mine might have come from the same batch, mine too has the Italian data plate and looking at the photo looks nearly identical. I'm nearly on the final assembly now. I know mine does not have an ammeter, instead it had had the hole covered by an instructional data plate, not sure whats correct!

I have the same yellow markings on the inside bearing covers next to the seat. Have you been able to make out what it says? Mine was barely legible.

• 8 months later...

Hi Alistair,

Short answer is no. I've taken it back to the motor repair shop and they are going to replace the last part of the motor which they haven't touched (I can't remember off the top of my head what part is is). Hopefully this will make a difference otherwise I'll be a bit stuck.

Mines very similar. Have you checked for any binding on the differential? With the elevation drive disconnected from the motor, you should be able to hand turn the large bearings/differential output shafts.

On 3/14/2021 at 11:07 PM, GreenEagleKing said:

I've found one guy in the Netherlands who has a few bits which he sent me, but recently haven't heard back from him so not sure how reliable he is. Jeepest has a few bits too I think. Like you I imagine I'm looking for all the small bits!

I think mine might have come from the same batch, mine too has the Italian data plate and looking at the photo looks nearly identical. I'm nearly on the final assembly now. I know mine does not have an ammeter, instead it had had the hole covered by an instructional data plate, not sure whats correct!

I have the same yellow markings on the inside bearing covers next to the seat. Have you been able to make out what it says? Mine was barely legible.

@GreenEagleKing , regarding the yellow markings, is this what you’re referring to?  

https://www.facebook.com/All4shooters.it/videos/la-quadrinata-antiaerea-con-il-joystick-la-maxson-m51-era-un-complesso-antiaereo/269069944003788/

Edited by ltwtbarmy

On 12/14/2021 at 5:22 AM, ltwtbarmy said:

Great find! That appears to be the markings on my mount. That confirms it was with the Italians at some point. Just need to translate it now.

Thanks

@GreenEagleKing On both sides, it says, “Warning- prior to commencing firing, ensure that arc of fire limiter red pointer is in the correct position”. On the front shield it says “prior to putting in action, (removing wheels and leveling) disengage platform movement blocking hooks”.

As an aside, the italian army had hundreds of these units on charge, which remained in use until the removal of light anti aircraft units from active service in about 1996. Each Bofors L/70 Troop had 2 Bofors and 2 “quadrinate dodici e sette” (quadruple 12.7 was what they were known as, officially as complesso quadruplo 12,7,, never as Maxson or 50cal) on charge, with four troops forming a Battery. Four batteries to a regiment, so quite a few in one unit alone. Additionally they were used as close defence, ground or air with Hawk missile units, so quite a few on strength when they where put in storage, mainly at Peschiera del Garda. As another aside, in Hawk missile units, if I’m not mistaken, they were replaced by the SIDAM 25 unit, which was and still is an OTO Breda 25mm quadruple barrel unit mounted on an M113 chassis.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/281576591078?hash=item418f45cee6:g:tbcAAOSwa39UxVUj

Edited by ltwtbarmy
Additional info

• 4 weeks later...

Chris, 

Is there any easy way to remove the motor🤔

Mine is standing on its legs so i am working upside down, 4 top bolts and 2 at the front from underneath, but! Those swivel castings that seems to fit to brackets either side if the motor, does it mean those gearboxes/diffs need to come off first? 

Would be much easier if i could find a way of turning it over.

Alistair 

Sadly not, its a bit of a pain to work with upside down. 

I recommend either removing the whole power unit from the mount, that's everything including the large plate (motor, diffs etc..) - I fabricated some steel sheets and welded on some lifting eyes which then used the same screw holes of the diffs. Using a engine hoist I then slowly dropped it down onto skates.

Alternatively as you say, you just need to remove everything (diffs/gears etc..) to get to the motor.

The advantage of removing the whole unit is you can get it all tested and setup on the bench before dropping it back into the mount.

You can attempt to turn it over, I have done this, but is not the easiest job with a engine crane. If I had a forklift or similar then I can see it being an option.

Ben