Generator

Longen

Hello Everyone,

I have recently taken ownership of the 240v generator seen in the attached images. I'm looking for any information and ideally user and maintenance documentation.

Thanks in advance for all assistance given.

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

IMG_5456.JPG

Edited by Longen

A 3.5kva Onan, very good sets, the army used them for many years, I have worked on a good many, but only on the engine side, we had electricians who dealt with the electrickery. Most issues were down to lack of use and stuck valves, carburettor and fuel pump. Nice thing on these was the electric starter, working from the generator.

Just realised that is the later one, the most common one were flat twin engines.

22 minutes ago, Longen said:

Thanks Richard for your prompt response. I was led to believe the electric start is 24v. Can you expand on your comment "electric starter, working from the generator"

Dave.

It is about 25 years ago since I last worked on one, but you maybe right about 24v starting, but please double check first otherwise you may cause damage, I cannot remember positively, but thought it was only 12v. The starting is done by part of the generator armature wired as an electric motor in effect. I cannot recollect the model designation of this particular type as they came in service later. It look like the makers plate is missing I think it was below the suppliers plate that you showed.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. Based on your identication I googled "3.5kva Onan generator" and have found a post on HMVF discussing exactly the voltage and that person found a fault on the starter brushes and once rectified the generator started ok on 12v. 

Im going to look closer to see if I have the same issue. 

The previous owner has used it with 24v (2x 12volt batteries) so I may have more to fix.

Dave.

I am fairly certain that we used 6kv generators in trailers towed by a Land Rover.

This was for Airfield Damage repair and was used for powering 4 Kango drills on long extention leads at the same time.

This was when we were bolting down the mat after filling the crater. 

There were 4 bins one in each corner inside the trailer to house the Kangos.

Thanks Richard, Potless and Bryan.

the Onan 6.5Kva and 6jb has brought up some internet hits but until now none of the images has been a match for my generator.

Richard's link appears to service the USA only.

still looking.

Dave.

• 8 months later...

Dave I see I have EMER POWER C 420/5 - 424/5 in microfiche. That is Data Summary, Technical Description & Repairs. If that is of interest, I'll check them out & confirm exactly what I have actually got.

I have some uncatalogued microfiche packs & will see if I have any of the others. But before I hunt please let me know if fiche is ok with you?

Not sure if it is of interest to readers but on a well known auction site I currently have listed the follow user handbooks, I am not a dealer, just having a covid related clear out of duplicate publications.

User hand book 12282  Generating set, AC, 3 1/2 kVA, 230v, single phase, No1 Mk1, Mk1/1, Mk2 issued July 1962.

Coventry Climax engine can be mounted in a 1 Ton Cargo trailer.

User handbook 13965, Generator set, AC, 500VA, 240v, single phase, 50c/s, No2 Mk2  issued 1964

Villiers engine Mk12/1, with Arthur Lyon A6L generator.