Jeep Fuel

Powdermonkey52

Question

So I am new to the world of restoring WW2 vehicles (although not new to vehicle restoration) and planning on embarking on a Ford GPW restoration! Clearly when these were first made their little Go Devil engines were run on (I'm guessing!) Leaded fuel!? 

Living in the UK I obviously can't get leaded fuel anymore, so my question is what do all you UK Jeep owners run your jeeps on? Do you use unleaded with an additive or is it safe to use straight unleaded petrol?

Cheers, Nick

6 answers to this question

I’m sure quite a few don’t bother with anything but if you’re rebuilding the engine it’s probably worth getting new valve seats fitted anyway.

What you will find is that the engine has quite wide values for tune up due to the pool petrol these vehicles were expected to use. With the good quality petrol available now it’s better to ignore the manual and use the methods you will find on the G503 or on YouTube. I think Greendot did a good YouTube vid on this.

Engines from the.1940s ran on leaded petrol. ...whilst leaded petrol is not available you can buy valvoline lead replacement and add it to your fuel . The issue you will find with any engine you buy is you won't know what work has been done on it .. The safest thing to do use use valvoline which will protect your engine .

Lead was used as a lubricant for the top end of the engine .. 

Jenkinov

WW2 petrol engines ran on anything better than about 80 octane, and we don't do many miles, if any at the moment,  at high speed. My two Dodges ,I've not had any problems running unleaded, or even the Dreaded French angel P8ss. Occasionallly they get a bit of 2 stroke oil if I've been using jerry cans for small engine fuel.

De-coking ..engines both car and bike was a regular maintenance routine. If you get the old service routines it's amazing how frequently this was required. I expect many  reading this comment will have no idea of de' coking but with the poorer quality fuels available in combat zones the build up of burnt fuel residues could choke an engine.

Modern additives which operate to remove these build up in engines have nearly totally removed this as an issue .

I agree that because of limited mileage you could probably get away without any lead replacement ..but as my engine is approaching 80 years old and I am looking forward to running at 100 years the modest amount to pay for lead replacement and give that engine some extra protection. Is worth it to me

Jenkinov

18 hours ago, jenkinov said:

Engines from the.1940s ran on leaded petrol. ...whilst leaded petrol is not available you can buy valvoline lead replacement and add it to your fuel . The issue you will find with any engine you buy is you won't know what work has been done on it .. The safest thing to do use use valvoline which will protect your engine .

Lead was used as a lubricant for the top end of the engine .. 

Jenkinov

I'm happy to undertake an engine restoration and rebuild, so should then know exactly what state the engine is in I guess? 

Makes sense though I guess if one doesn't know the state of the engine just to use the additives and keep it running as close to the original designed way as possible!