Mystery Object No.44

fv1609

Clive,

as they are different colours, and cannot be differentiated in the dark....

are they to identify types of chemicals or substances?

are they on clothing/material?

Nope, they are to be one foot wide where space permits

Cones and balls of various colours used to be used at naval signal stations for gale warnings and other marks to signal the approach of ships. The last one in UK, was Guess where? Only stopped operations about 5 years ago.

I thought of that, because ball signals can likewise be displayed on boats but I only ever saw balls used in this code.

The code was balls and cones, plus special signals for Mail boat sighted and warships. it's years since i used them used to know by heart, i'll look them up. so then are they approach route markers and position indicators for forming up, each one being a diffrent arm such as cavalary , artillery etc.

Cones and balls of various colours used to be used at naval signal stations for gale warnings and other marks to signal the approach of ships. The last one in UK, was Guess where? Only stopped operations about 5 years ago.

Nope, this is striclty Army.

I tink I'm onto somthing here, the Master is ignoring the bit about route markers and forming up points. :naughty:

Sorry to get you excited Tony, it wasn't a tactic, honestly. My wife summoned me to see what disaster the builders had done today :cry:

So what can I say? You know its coming, there's no easy way to say this but basically good idea, but nope.

Recognition symbols for different types of Stores, including food rations, ammo, etc. For those that could not read. I note from the script, that this could be early, possibly pre-WW1

Yes well done that man, I knew I could rely on you Richard. Dated 1859, but some of the writing not too easy to read.

Storesymbol.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired