Jeep numbers and markings

Dean Edwards

Can anyone shed any light on these jeep markings just started rubbing down to respray and came across these possibly original markings 

and strange green colour maybe marines  usual hood (bonnet) numbers

Normally start with USA not US

any suggestions before possibly losing

Original markings many thanks in advance  Dean

13A34CA0-E00B-4654-B19B-D54CBD62E5EF.jpeg

22130314-25E3-4123-815D-EAE95279A3E1.jpeg

D0B16BFC-F2BC-4545-BBCD-4D9A097A9977.jpeg

My gut feeling is the markings are from a previous civilian owner. The star is the wrong way around on the hood, the circle around it is very thin, neither of which I've seen on wartime vehicles. Also the US and number on the side of the hood, I haven't seen like that before, or in that font style.

The question is........if you keep sanding, are there further layers and markings to uncover. I'd be tempted to get good square on photos of them all, trace them all so you have a fullsize template and record of them, then keep sanding to see if there are more genuine markings further down.

7 hours ago, Jessie The Jeep said:

My gut feeling is the markings are from a previous civilian owner. The star is the wrong way around on the hood, the circle around it is very thin, neither of which I've seen on wartime vehicles. Also the US and number on the side of the hood, I haven't seen like that before, or in that font style.

The question is........if you keep sanding, are there further layers and markings to uncover. I'd be tempted to get good square on photos of them all, trace them all so you have a fullsize template and record of them, then keep sanding to see if there are more genuine markings further down.

Although given the number of paint layers shown in the pictures I tend to agree that these are probably previous owners’ attempts at markings, the star pointing that way is definitely no proof that it isn’t original. Despite it being the wrong way round, it did happen in wartime, in theatre, that markings were applied in ways, sizes and locations which were not as the higher ups intended. An example of a star applied in wartime is shown here, 4th jeep on the right, courtesy of http://www.dday.center/preserving-history-1942-jeep-restoration-project.html

722EB98A-67CE-4E05-9AE4-DCE86626607F.jpeg

• 4 months later...

if you tell me if your jeep is a willys or ford and the frame number i will work out the number that it came out of the factory with for you it would start with USA 20 then the number the first photo is an early ford build with a willys frame not the placement of the star 2nd photo is also an early ford and the owner asked for it to be done for Normandy as his grandfathers jeep that is why the number is in blue with white over it as was done for D DAY   

P1010049.JPG

34 finished.JPG