Hi all👋 here is my new toy

Motleyholt

Hi everyone

After many years I have finally purchased a Foden fh70 limber. I have seen a few over the years and finally decided on Dave Crouches machine. Mostly due to it being complete, unmolested, low milage and in a condition where it can be a rolling restoration. I'll endeavour to start a restoration thread in the appropriate area and maybe some general how to guides as an aside.

So why the Foden I hear you ask? Well as they are completely impractical as a goods vehicle for everyday use, the crane is in the middle, the body floor is stepped and the crane isn't that powerful. The result is they either get converted to another body or they get tucked away and gather dust. The latter being what we want. Foden recovery trucks are just too expensive, I wanted something that looked classic but was still drivable to get to shows without setting off a week early! And I just like the unusual layout and looks. It needed to be more than 40 years old to avoid modern rules, 10 year tyre rules etc, but new enough not to need a complete rebuild. Although I can guarantee the work I can see needs doing will be magnified by ten as soon as I start stripping underseal off the cab!

So as my business keeps everyone else's trucks, including a collection of military vehicles, on the road. I decided it was time to restore my own.

So my first questions are 1) does anyone have a manual? Or a pdf copy? 2) can anyone tell me the correct batteries that should be fitted so I can order some up 3) doe anyone have a list of filter part numbers for oil, fuel and air. Also oil grades for everything, gearbox, transfer box, axles and hubs? Engine oil is the only one listed in the handbook.

Awaiting Wednesday morning with anticipation of the Foden's arrival. Not excited at all honest......

Excellent forum too👍

Martin

Screenshot_2020-12-22-21-52-36.png

Dear Martin,

Looks nice!

I would expect the batteries to be NATO standard or something like a ubiquitous 653 ordinary lorry battery.  Except in very cold weather, the Rolls is quite a good starter so a pair of ordinary lorry batteries will be fine. 

I would advise you to acquire the following publications:

User handbook

Servicing schedule  (Forum members can advise on civvy equivalent lubricants.  Engine should be run with 50 % antifreeze and certainly no less than 33 %.  This is to avoid cavitation corrosion of the wet cylinder liners.  

AESP or EMER  (I don't which it has)  (Army Equipment Support Publication) or Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Regulations.  You want the unit and field repairs version.

If you cannot get these pubs for the FH70 gun tractor, try and get them for the Foden recovery vehicle instead because they are very similar.  However, you will need the correct wiring diagram. 

It is a hell of a beast because it has the 305 Rolls but it is not that heavy.  At the same time, it has a humungous tractive effort with the transfer box in low ratio and six wheel drive.

John

Hi I have a copy of the hand book, rolls workshop manual and servicing manual so all good there. Just would like the Foden manual to complete the set! More for torques and oil grades etc. No issues with taking apart and putting back together as that's my day job.

I drove one a few years back SWH 651T, Simonstolly did some restoration work on it as documented on here, when it was last up for sale but circumstances changed and I didn't buy it. 

Then recently solent overloards gun tractor was sold and broken up, XUY 360V. But I managed to purchase a lot of the left over parts mainly for the winch which I will fit later after the initial refurb. I also have the crew box and ammo box for the full effect.

My plan is to get it back to a road worthy state, mot it, register it and then show and fully restore it.

I'm hoping I can register on the strength of the release docs without an identity check by mvt or imps, unless the restrictions are lowered and they start their services again. I will call the dvsa and see what they advise. What do you all think? Has anyone registered a vehicle recently?

The other publications are army documents known as AESP's

Here is a list of reference numbers for the Foden gun tractor:

2320-N-501-302 Technical Description

2320-N-501-522 Repair instructions

2320-N-501-523 Repair Instructions

2320-N-501-532 Inspection Standards

2320-N-501-533 Inspection Standards

2320-N-501-601 Maintenance Schedule

2320-N-501-711 Illustrated parts catalogue

The cab is one of the best I have seen but the doors have suffered from 70's build quality and a lack of anti corrosion treatment. I have a spare set of doors from the donor but they are in a similar state. In time I will rebuild and refit the originals but if anyone has any leads of a good pair of doors I would be interested.

Martin

20201230_102025.jpg

20201230_102015.jpg

20201230_102005.jpg

13 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I have I think most of the FAESP 2320-N-501 octad series

I might consider selling them if you get stuck.

Cheers, would you be able to scan and send me a copy until I find them? Would reimburse you for your time.  Or I would be happy to buy them.

Martin

Quick update, big truck has arrived! Now the fun starts. I'll start a restoration thread in the appropriate place but so far I know that there are no lights, wipers, hi/lo range change or overdrive. It starts lovely now I've fitted a couple of batteries. Exhaust has a bit of a gap in the middle and if you release the park brake or press the foot brake all the air dissappear. So as you would imagine I'm loving it😂

Have already recovered some light operation,  mostly the light switch contacts. The air is leaking into the gearbox, hi/lo/overdrive cylinders are sticking and leaking. Will give it a thorough inspection at the weekend and hopefully get it mobile for a drive around the farm.

7 minutes ago, Motleyholt said:

The air is leaking into the gearbox, hi/lo/overdrive cylinders are sticking and leaking.

I recollect one of these coming in the workshop once with air leaking into the gearbox. There is a diaphragm in the front of the gearbox and it is accessible from the aperture in bottom of bell housing. I was told to fit two diaphragms as it was common for them to leak. Not an easy job, but better than dropping the gearbox out.

Thanks Richard, I'll investigate that. I've already popped the easy air cylinder off and it was seized up but not the air leak culprit. The foward cylinder requires the range change housing to be removed and it's going to be tight under the body. Worst case senario I'll lift off the foward body and make life easy! 

2 hours ago, Motleyholt said:

Thanks Richard, I'll investigate that. I've already popped the easy air cylinder off and it was seized up but not the air leak culprit. The foward cylinder requires the range change housing to be removed and it's going to be tight under the body. Worst case senario I'll lift off the foward body and make life easy! 

It was 30+ years ago when I did this and can only recall the awkwardness of the job and that air was leaking into the gearbox.

It has to be said that the gearbox is the worst part to access! The step in the body and the mass of air pipes accentuates the issue. But on the plus side, whilst topping up the anti freeze for the cold weather, the wipers decided to start working! Love the sound of air powered wipers. I like the self repairing problems it's like some kind of voodoo at work. I think it knows good things are about to happen and everytime I touch it something starts working 😂

Remind me, do these have a 13 speed gearbox rather than the 9 speed Fuller fitted to the recovery?  I seem to remember it was a 4l 4h with overdrive on 4h and a crawler.

I nearly bought one from DC about 25 years ago and drove it at Bruntingthorpe but the cab was in a worse state than yours.