1942 Commer Q2 30cwt Restoration.

So, I have been pondering for quite a while now about posting about my Commer. I haven't really got very far with its restoration due to work and lockdowns etc but things are moving slowly.

I have posted before about the trouble we had getting her running, that took a long time and eventually we serviced or replaced pretty much all the electrical side and the fuel system. She now runs fine but we have trouble actually starting her sometimes, we find that the starter jams and we end up having to remove it to free her. 

Long story short, when the starter was out just before Christmas I noticed swarf in the bell housing, after carefully running a finger against the starter ring I found that many teeth were worn so I decided then even though its a big job we needed to strip and replace the starter ring. This in itself meant dropping the prop shaft, making a nice trolley to drop the gearbox / bell housing onto and removing all the cab floor to get access and then tend with bolts that had been in place for 70-80 years. You all know what I mean.

So, below shows the starter ring on the flywheel, its actually welded in 3 equally spaced slots

50831366116_3bac311d51.jpg

All looks fine there but take a look at the wear on the teeth below! We couldn't believe how awful the teeth are, its not restricted to one place but many sections around the ring. It made me very glad in the decision to strip and replace it.

50830621163_86bf99656c.jpg

You will also notice that the starter ring does not sit flush all round the flywheel, it actually has bowed out between each of the welds!

Edited by Rootes75
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

You will also notice that the starter ring does not sit flush all round the flywheel, it actually has bowed out between each of the welds!

I would think that starter ring has been changed before, because it is unusual to weld them in place, you normally heat them and shrink on. I wonder if it was the correct ring?