Vehicle Markings 1st Kings Dragoon Guards

gary0003

I am restoring a ww2 Royal Enfield and would like to use Formation markings/Arms of Service marks etc for the 1st Kings dragoon Guards in Italy about 1944. I believe they used there own regimental sign, a french Eagle in a white rectangle, I think the AoS marks were green over blue with a white 44 and white bar at the top (Armoured car Regiment - Corps troops) and A 7th Armoured Div - Desert Rat sign. Does anyone have any pics of the Eagle etc please?

Any advice would be welcome,

Many Thanks

Gary.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is it a two headed Austrian eagle? Might be worth contacting the Museum of the successor Regiment- the Queens Dragoon Guards. It’s called Firing Line.

The Vehicle badge for the Royal Dragoon Guards seemed to be a stencilled version of the cap badge outline.Wonder if that was all they did as well

Edited by simon king
  • Like 1

Which model of Enfield are you restoring ? In practice, apart from use of the WD/C by the BEF and by some second-line units in the Middle East, it is hard to find evidence of their use by the British Army overseas. Italy was a campaign that saw M20s, W/NGs, 3HWs and G3Ls with the British and 16Hs with the Canadians.

In terms of markings, as early as the Army Council Instruction 'Vehicle Markings 1941', published in January of that year, it was stated that formation signs would not be applied to motorcycles and this was repeated in each subsequent publication.

The most correct choice would probably be simply the arm of service marking on each side of the fuel tank.

vehicle marking page 2 and 3. 1941 (2).jpg

Thanks for all your help guys - it has been invaluable. It is a 1944 WD/Co. I realise this bike was probably not in Africa/Italy but it was in need of restoration and as my Grandfather served as a motorcyclist in the 1st Kings dragoon Guards all through the war, I felt it would be appropriate for me to mark the bike as such.

Thanks again

Gary.