Land rover Mk3 & mk5 conversion to 24v

Desertrat

I am trying to gather as much info as possible with view of creating an article on the conversion of series 1 land rovers 24v FFR not to be confused with ffr. Any information appreciated. I know not many were converted, and I know of few that were stripped back after demob. Emer info would be really useful as I know the conversions were carried out by REME. Thanks in anticipation.

Both  FFW  & FFR   'Field Modifications'   for 80" ,  86"  and  88"   -  EMER Q027  Modification Instructions  3 and 6  , and Miscellaneous  instructions 11.     Ref. to the 1996 book by Pat Ware   'QUARTER TON'    -   after that you will be scratching around,  IIRC the basic frame carrier for radio was same as British version of Jeep.

btw   I would say all S1 conversions were  FFW   , this indicates that once converted it more or less  a fixed install .     It is arguable , however my understanding of  FFR  is for more modular and progressive to the unitary kit(s) that were more or less readily removable to restore the truck to a General Service  CARGO.   So in fact Larkspur could be FFW or FFR  (FFW would be more or less stand alone battery power (possibly aided by a portable Onan set)  without a heavier vehicle generator).

2 hours ago, ruxy said:

btw   I would say all S1 conversions were  FFW   , this indicates that once converted it more or less  a fixed install .     It is arguable , however my understanding of  FFR  is for more modular and progressive to the unitary kit(s) that were more or less readily removable to restore the truck to a General Service  CARGO.   So in fact Larkspur could be FFW or FFR  (FFW would be more or less stand alone battery power (possibly aided by a portable Onan set)  without a heavier vehicle generator).

I have 2x S1  24v they have a complete separate wiring system, 24v generator 2x batteries etc, same system as production mk8. One is fitted with C42 & C12 radio installation. There is a visible amount of extras and modifications ie generator and twin fan belts, shielded distributor etc. I will try and trace EMERs thanks to your info

I knew somebody who purchased a S1 in 1967 , can't remember the Mk.  He used it as transport to/from university , purchased it from a dealer on Exchange & Mart .  Probably on the family farm books  ?    It had obviously had radio fitted as lots of extra wiring still in situ.  can't remember any more.

There was somebody on here , does not attend now & I can't recall his handle - he rigged up a S1 for radio , he obtained a proper frame from one of the forum tankers.  Search around - thread may be there from 10 + years ago,  he lived / lives near Barmouth, North Wales (leading light on a WW2 aircraft crash sites forum) & purchased a Bomber Maid.  I may be able to lock on memory - he had collected lots of info. on this subject.

The installation of 24V AC generator and conversion to FFW role to 1/4 Ton Rover Mk 3 and 5 was covered in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES Mod Instr No.11

The EMER was only issued in draft form to the few workshops carrying out the modification, which is why a formal publication of the EMER was not incorporated for reference in the normal EMER series. All that will be found is notification to this effect in lieu of Mod Instr No.11.

That EMER was never intended to be retrospectively available, which is why it is not listed in the Associated Publications section of the User Handbook WO Code No.18402 superseded by No.18412 issued April 1961.

This UHB gives a technical description & instructions to be read as a supplement to the normal UHB WO Code No.17856

Below are some DEME Liaison Letters which give an idea of the time scale.

370474048_WVQ027No_11.jpg.a32e1943e65e2ba797be71cc6a745e9e.jpg

• Like 1