Flying flea info wanted

anubis68

Hi all.

Hoping for some help on a project my dad bought fast approaching 80yrs.

He bought a flying flea its quite a basket case but he saw it and always wanted to do one up

There are quite a few parts missing at a guess but his main question is can anyone tell him what year the bike could be?

Frame number is OREM 20330  Engine is 11333

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks Terry

Hi Terry. I don't know what the OREM is but the last military frame number in 1945 was 11129. They carried on into the 50's with the last of the WD models being civilianized, followed by purpose civilian models. I would hazard a guess at 1946. But the Royal Enfield Owners Club or VMCC should be able to date it accurately.  Ron

The lighting pickup is in the wrong place, the barrel doesn't have the threaded exhaust port, clutch lever, kickstart and carb are all post war. I'm not trying to piss on anyone's firework!  Just trying to give a requited opinion.  🙂Ron

Flea7 (2).jpg

PS. Out of interest, there are usually two numbers on Royal Enfield's (war time anyway) One is the actual engine number which on a military Flea is prefixed with a 'V' (Villiers carb fitted) Then once the engine is fitted in a frame it is then also stamped with the frame number. Effectively then making them matching numbers. 

Here's mine.  Ron

FLightweights 032.jpg

It's an "M" Colin. So far it's the only one with an M prefix in my Register, and I have no idea at all why it has a different prefix… Stupid mistake maybe? "Oops, I took the wrong stamp..."? Can’t imagine what it could mean. We've always assumed that the "V" prefix stands for Villiers carburetor, but the Amal bikes don’t have an A prefix, so I’m not convinced…