Austin K2/Y - Ice Cold in Alex

simon king

I’m interested in the markings on the K2/Y(s) in Ice Cold in Alex.

Looks like an plain RASC diagonal green/red AoS square without superimposed unit code on the offside front and rear and perhaps a made up Div Sign on front nearside of a white circle within a black or red square. Does that make sense or has anybody got a definitive answer ?

thanks

Thanks Wally,

I suspect there was an element of artistic license with the film markings, although they seem to be grounded in reality.

I also wondered if the background square might have been red rather than black and was intended to allude to the 7th AD but without the red jerboa, particularly as they had missed the unit code on the RASC AoS square.

• 3 weeks later...

l would suggest that the HUMBER is marked up a 13 corp who also were in TOBRUK at the same time as 9th AUSTRALIAN DIVISION There are two  good images of the  sign in the early part of the film one  going into the dock and just before it gets blown  up and is  the same as the K2 near the end at the RMP post before going into ALEX

Edited by wally dugan
a amendment to text

Have a sunny picture,

1941 Austin K2y ex ME.

IMG_3321.thumb.jpg.3ed6f4ffd8c77aa15a44fb590553406d.jpg

update a bit.

IMG_9161.thumb.jpg.a2ebe59b3b005923ba159b1a765f5a65.jpg

late 1941 early 1942, with LoC plate for Alexandria

IMG_9156.thumb.jpg.98c73de72e07cfe27694e0187514040c.jpg

an Ice Cold in Alex plate

ice-cold-in-alex-1957-diane-clare-date-1957-KGMB45.thumb.jpg.f1346f1f640efd98cef069a8947310f5.jpg

the other Katy in the film.note the  strange sand mate 

the sandmates were stored on the rear mudguards.

regs

Rupert

Edited by rupert condick
updated images
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi folks, only just stumbled across this so I hope you see this given the age of the post. I hope this will be useful. I was lucky enough to work as a film archivist for many years and know that John Mills was a prolific home movie fan. This glimpse from “Ice  Cold In Alex” home movies has a “blink and you’ll miss it” moment which shows the front end of Katy very clearly. I took a frame grab posted below and here’s a link t9 the film clip.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=331130451238655

As you will see, yes, RASC aos on the near side and XIII Corps in RED o/s straight onto the sand wing, no white. Interesting that the 5 bridge rating seems to be on a sand disc, rather than the usual yellow. The props man probably forgot the tin of yellow Japlac! 

Brad

Edited by Brad K
Additional information
  • Like 1