Daimler Dingo development with help from Austro-Daimler?

motorfahrer

Recently the austrian Newspaper "Der Standard" wrote in their car supplement a story relating that the Daimler Dingo has Austrian roots.I will attach the article and pictures in german but i sum up the story:

Steyr-Daimler- Puch was developing a small armored vehicle for the Austrian army.ADSK (Austro-Daimler Späh-Karren Austro-Daimler scout cart)weight 3,5 to 3,18 m long, 4 gears + reduction,4 cylinder. 3,6 liters, 60 PS speed 75 km/h. They made 4 pieces for 2 men and 3 pieces for 3 men.The Austrian army was not interested so the investment seemed lost. At that time Britain had a call for bids for a light scout vehicle. Steyr teamed with Morris 1938 and send 4 pieces without engine to Morris. Morris installed one of their engines but needed assistance from Steyr-Daimler-Puch. But at this time Austria went under and was incorporated into the 3.Reich. So the project went to Alvis and Daimler resulting in the Dingo. This design was so successful that 1942 Lancia was ordered to make copies under the "Lince"(Lynx). 

A historical note is in this article too: When the Dingos of the North Irish Horse Dragons came to the south of Austria in the last days of the war the helped to end atrocities of Tito troops in Bleiburg, Carinthia.                                                                                                                                                                  Today one prototype of the ADSK exists in the form of the technical similar ADFK (Austro-Daimler Feuerwehr Karren Austro-Daimler Firefighters cart)

It would be interesting of the British sources can support this article from Austro-Daimler to British Daimler.

Thank you

Motorfahrer

ADSK 20 11 Standard a1.jpeg

ADSK 20 11 Standard a2.jpeg

Personally I think this is not factually true. The British Daimler company had no connection with the Daimler company in Austria as far as I am aware. The vehicle was actually designed by BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) who had bought Daimler. BSA had been producing front wheel drive cars and may have used this engineering experience in the Daimler Scout Car design. The name Dingo was never officially given to the Daimler, it was in fact the name that Alvis used for their submission for the contract. Alvis lost out on the contract and I have never heard that they collaborated with BSA/Daimler in the design.

I have owned a Dingo for 40 years and worked on many others over that time, so have researched the subject quite thoroughly, but always like to hear anything new, but not sure on this particular story.

• Like 1

Good Morning Richard

A quick question whilst my hands are greasy. Dingo oil dip stick, is the oil level taken with it screwed down or resting on the top of the dip stick tube.  Have a good Christmas, Cheers Michael