METEOR M120 FOR REME MUSEUM'S CONQUEROR ARV

attleej

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that the Meteor M120 petrol engine that belongs to the REME Museum’s Conqueror ARV is now running with stability.  By that I mean that it will idle and rev up but still a bit rough because the fuel has not yet been properly mapped.  However, all the basics are there.

The fuel injection is being controlled by a Speeduino using an Arduino MEGA microcontroller.

As would be expected there are a few minor leaks to be cured.  Unfortunately, I will have to change the generator drive oil seal but it is not too difficult.

Once I have mapped the fuel as well as I can on the run-up rig, I will be fitting it back to the tank where it belongs.  I hope to be fitting it in Mid January 2021.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me do this with parts, advice or help and in some cases, all three!

Next on the slab will be a ‘take out’ Mk IVB which has the same problem with at least two snapped corner studs.  It will be interesting to see how long they take to do now that I have developed the technique to do the job.

John

• Like 5

Bravo. I imagine this has taken a lot of time to get to this stage and I guess you've also got a long way to go if I understand you're looking for improved reliability and fuel economy.

one day I'd like to pick your brains on doing this to an Explorer meadows engine.

Bob,

The amount of fuel that the engine requires varies according to engine RPM and manifold depression and is not a straight line graph.  In addition, you want the medium power 'cruise' condition to be relative lean for fuel economy whereas full power and high RPM conditions require a richer mixture to avoid any possibility of burning out the pistons.

The "map" is a table of volumetric efficiency of Manifold Air Pressure versus RPM.

At the moment the table is roughly correct at idle only.    'mapping' is the process of building up the table so that all the values in it are correct, or at least not too weak for safety.

The system also has a feedback loop to correct the mixture.  The mixture is measure by the O2 or lambda sensor.

John

Dear All,

On Dave's point about how much effort it took, it was about the most difficult and involved job that I have done.  The engine is extremely complicated and I had to work out how to do several tasks and these are covered in other threads (esp dealing with the broken 'corner' cylinder studs.

On a "long way to go...on reliability and fuel economy", no that is the easy bit.  It now only requires a bit of tuning to get all the cylinders firing perfectly.  All the cylinders have 150 PSI compression with little variation.  The engineering was the difficult and time consuming bit.

I will start a separate thread about EFI on a Meadows petrol engine.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1