Tool box (Meteor)

Thorp

Hi All,

Recently joined the forum and looking for some advice. My Grandfather drove tanks in WW2 and was based at Bovington at the end of the war. When he passed away, we found what appears to be a military Tool box in his shed. I have (hopefully) uploaded a couple of pictures.
Meteor Tools is stencilled into the top. Can anybody tell me what vintage this is? 

I suspect the contents is not military, but there are a few largeish spanner’s in there. Is there a reference anywhere that shows what this might have contained? 

Many thanks in advance.

Will

F09ADB58-5D36-466C-A196-3A2DA6EA763D.jpeg

3087A4E0-F4D6-45E0-989E-2360826BD5B0.jpeg

E60B48BF-76AA-452A-BBDA-101AD76ADE01.jpeg

Hi Will,

That picture brings back memories. When I started work at a REME Workshop in 1974 I was issued with one of those boxes with the socket tray in the top. It was the standard army issue. We had a long London screwdriver and hammer and neither would fit in the box.

I suspect the box may well have had some special tools for the RR Meteor engine in it at one time, but contents now look like a basic tool kit.

regards, Richard

What does the tag affixed over the hasp state  ?

I understood that tool-box was only provided with a single sliding tray  ?

I have one , but the paintwork is a bit more chip resistant blue , it was shot-blast and went through a automatic paint plant of a power tool manufacturer.  That seems the common design.

I also have one just the same but with again just a single sliding tray. I can't say I have ever noticed a broad arrow , date or any makers mark.  It is white over a slightly rusty original paint , I intend to strip & re-paint  OD or DBG.          Along with a similar but larger very military looking slight rusty tool-box finished in OD,  again no broad arrow - but marked  TROW   1975 , it does have a very strange hasp that also seem to be a lid prop ?

Just now, ruxy said:

What does the tag affixed over the hasp state  ?

I understood that tool-box was only provided with a single sliding tray  ?

I have one , but the paintwork is a bit more chip resistant blue , it was shot-blast and went through a automatic paint plant of a power tool manufacturer.  That seems the common design.

I also have one just the same but with again just a single sliding tray. I can't say I have ever noticed a broad arrow , date or any makers mark.  It is white over a slightly rusty original paint , I intend to strip & re-paint  OD or DBG.          Along with a similar but larger very military looking slight rusty tool-box finished in OD,  again no broad arrow - but marked  TROW   1975 , it does have a very strange hasp that also seem to be a lid prop ?

PS   The one painted white - the tray goes across in the long direction - only one I have seen this design.