FV430 Track pads

SebBrady

Hey all, just as a bit of a post to gauge interest. I am currently weighing up the options of manufacturing new pads subject to testing them on a vehicle.

I have made the drawing in CAD and approached several companies. But before I take this idea any further who would actually be interested in this venture? This is purely so I can go to the company with numbers as to how many I would like to make. The more we get the cheaper it gets.

Currently I haven't made the final calculations but the prices seem to be between about the £11-15 a pad mark. Maybe if there's more it will be even cheaper.

Just show your support on here and if there is enough I will take this further.

Just to clarify this will be done at cost. Its just so we can keep them going on the roads longer and I am not going to be making any money

If you are interested please tell me how many you would want and then I can sit down and actually work out some estimates for how much this would cost. The more of us that want to do it the cheaper it gets. I can only work out the costs if someone tells me they are interested in numbers. Not "if the price is right" because I cant tell the manufacture a rough amount. 

So please tell me your thoughts and guesses and in a week or two I can do the actual maths for us all. 

Thanks 

FV682895.JPG

32 minutes ago, Bob Grundy said:

Seb

I have a chap in South Dakota who purchased an Abbot from me who asked for a set a month or so ago. So.......

Bob

No problem you have my email so if you find out message me through there if you would like. I should have answers by this week!

On 11/8/2020 at 10:01 PM, SebBrady said:

Hey all, just as a bit of a post to gauge interest. I am currently weighing up the options of manufacturing new pads subject to testing them on a vehicle.

I have made the drawing in CAD and approached several companies. But before I take this idea any further who would actually be interested in this venture? This is purely so I can go to the company with numbers as to how many I would like to make. The more we get the cheaper it gets.

Currently I haven't made the final calculations but the prices seem to be between about the £11-15 a pad mark. Maybe if there's more it will be even cheaper.

Just show your support on here and if there is enough I will take this further.

Just to clarify this will be done at cost. Its just so we can keep them going on the roads longer and I am not going to be making any money

If you are interested please tell me how many you would want and then I can sit down and actually work out some estimates for how much this would cost. The more of us that want to do it the cheaper it gets. I can only work out the costs if someone tells me they are interested in numbers. Not "if the price is right" because I cant tell the manufacture a rough amount. 

So please tell me your thoughts and guesses and in a week or two I can do the actual maths for us all. 

Thanks 

FV682895.JPG

I d be intrested in 180 pads, would vat be in the cost because I'd be able to claim this back.

Regards Andrew

1 hour ago, terryb said:

gents, there is already a guy down under manufacturing and selling pads

details are on the 432 forum

Yes, I read about this topic some time ago, but wouldn't the delivery costs from Australia put the price of the pads out of reach?

Good evening all, sorry to be late reply. 

Firstly in reply to you diesel1 this would not be a problem to sort out your VAT Claim. Please drop me a message if you could with what you would like. 

On 11/12/2020 at 8:42 AM, diesel1 said:

I d be intrested in 180 pads, would vat be in the cost because I'd be able to claim this back.

Regards Andrew

Terry I have reached out and spoken to this gentleman from Australia who has assisted me with this. We have been talking about manufacturing costs and shipping with taxes makes it just as expensive as buying the NOS pads that you can currently buy from online auction sites and other vendors. It was because of this I decided that I would do something in the UK as its almost a 50% saving than bringing those in from Australia. 

As per cook defence I have contacted them and they were not able to assist in this venture. 

15 minutes ago, terryb said:

depends how many you buy and how you want them shipped

get a price on say 3 or 4 sets-i'm sure there will be plenty of takers over here

air mail may be a tad pricey though!

And for anyone else who is interested please see the below for what I have been up to. In the realms of measure twice and cut once and to check the integrity of the drawing I produced I decided to cut open a take off and check the steel plate. I used my drawings to laser cut out two templates. To check the dimensioning. I have recently acquired several NOS pads and therefore went through them to check the sizing and making it a perfect fit. 

125342239_1088167298285650_2844009861990895187_n.thumb.jpg.6357d438a12690fa81836c74d02a7124.jpg

125029695_293418255190947_2437950255534960730_n.thumb.jpg.916c8eae56adace4f8ee1dfa6325c091.jpg
125156703_1370417629970114_7142150039940606315_n.thumb.jpg.5351679636010e118f678d306d16ebb7.jpg

With this stage I have now submitted the drawings and a NOS pad to the factory for detailed moulding and this should give me "nailed" down product and moulding costings. I will keep you all updated as I go. But again if you are interested in this please get in touch. 

Thanks all 
Seb

125004242_405594020469332_2663201127504615671_n.jpg

125052042_765967890625962_5168258292492018566_n.jpg

125164598_371767940717286_3220430894252936118_n.jpg

Was thinking about making track pads back in 2016 after seeing the guy in Australia making them, the video he made was interesting. He used a polymer supplier in Australia, he used a primer brush on chemical to make the 2 part polymer mix stick to the existing worn rubber if he was only building worn pads up.

Finding a similar polymer in this country was the difficult part, doing a search on the net makes thing very difficult,  a little knowlage in polymers would help, I have non.

The easy bit for me is making the moulds, I would remove the old rubber off the pads and use the existing backing plate, easy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate all is quiet at the moment, this will be something that is happening next year, the pad has been sent with my CAD files across to the factory. Triple checking everything before I commit to paying for the mould. Once I get the go ahead I will be then working out a complete and open way of invoicing and sourcing finalised pricing and quantities for all of those who are interested and then its generating the invoices! 

Hope this helps. I was hoping to hear back from them in the 2nd week of December so I should have a good plan ahead of the new year. 
It also allows me to get a test pad onto a vehicle as well which will then be good to see if its right!

Thanks
Seb

On 11/14/2020 at 6:11 AM, diesel1 said:

Was thinking about making track pads back in 2016 after seeing the guy in Australia making them, the video he made was interesting. He used a polymer supplier in Australia, he used a primer brush on chemical to make the 2 part polymer mix stick to the existing worn rubber if he was only building worn pads up.

Finding a similar polymer in this country was the difficult part, doing a search on the net makes thing very difficult,  a little knowlage in polymers would help, I have non.

The easy bit for me is making the moulds, I would remove the old rubber off the pads and use the existing backing plate, easy!

So Interested in this so any information is gratefully received. I am looking in to sorting out some CVRT track and "repadding" would really make some economic sense of course providing the track link is up to it, (wear and tear and “good” bushes).

At the moment all the work in making a track like new is starting to look like a more expensive option.

Lance

19 hours ago, SirLanceUK said:

So Interested in this so any information is gratefully received. I am looking in to sorting out some CVRT track and "repadding" would really make some economic sense of course providing the track link is up to it, (wear and tear and “good” bushes).

At the moment all the work in making a track like new is starting to look like a more expensive option.

Lance

Next week, I will have a go at recapping a cvrt track section, will be interesting to see what it turns out like, will drill holes into the old rubber after I have cleaned up the pad surface, mould will be easy to make, but will want sealing on the track section with silicon maybe so the liquid polymer does not run out before it starts to set, then removed after 24 hrs, then would need testing, my vehicles are put away for the winter so testing would start in spring or I could post the section to someone to try it out.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:52 AM, diesel1 said:

Next week, I will have a go at recapping a cvrt track section, will be interesting to see what it turns out like, will drill holes into the old rubber after I have cleaned up the pad surface, mould will be easy to make, but will want sealing on the track section with silicon maybe so the liquid polymer does not run out before it starts to set, then removed after 24 hrs, then would need testing, my vehicles are put away for the winter so testing would start in spring or I could post the section to someone to try it out.

Brilliant, exactly what I was going to try and do. I really want to say I will rush up and fetch the pad(s) and put them on mine and run it around. But I guess I can wait till spring. I hope your going to put some pictures/ videos up

Just for everyone’s information I got a quote of £26,000 + VAT (depending on CVRT) from a supplier for new tracks.

I will be researching on new bushes as well

Hello all,

Just to keep this all updated and show this isnt a pipe dream! Got a final set of drawings back from the factory. I am now in the process of working out how to bill anyone who is interested in the pads so that we can get the process made and get the final price per pad nailed down.

As mentioned at the start I am not in this to make any money at all and just want to help everyone out if possible! Getting a new supply of pads would be a great benefit I feel to the community. 

If you know anyone who wants to join in on the order now is the time. As once I have committed to the mould that is when we agree the pricing and get them ordered. Looking like the cut off if work is kind to me will be January/Feb and delivered a couple weeks later. 

Thanks for your patience just doing this all in my spare time amongst other things is slowly taking its toll! 

Thanks
Seb

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SebBrady said:

Hello all,

Just to keep this all updated and show this isnt a pipe dream! Got a final set of drawings back from the factory. I am now in the process of working out how to bill anyone who is interested in the pads so that we can get the process made and get the final price per pad nailed down.

As mentioned at the start I am not in this to make any money at all and just want to help everyone out if possible! Getting a new supply of pads would be a great benefit I feel to the community. 

If you know anyone who wants to join in on the order now is the time. As once I have committed to the mould that is when we agree the pricing and get them ordered. Looking like the cut off if work is kind to me will be January/Feb and delivered a couple weeks later. 

Thanks for your patience just doing this all in my spare time amongst other things is slowly taking its toll! 

Thanks
Seb

Will the backing plates be totally flat steel or curled up at the edges like the original plates?