tyler

Thanks for sharing Tyler! Well, here's what I can tell you about your new toy:

Frame number 19751 was despatched from the factory on 24/11/1943 to the War Office in Sheffield. It was one of the 2826 bikes for the RAF contract C/14219. The "special" thing about these RAF contract bikes is that they did not have pannier frames and pillion equipment...

The engine with duplicated frame number 14182 left the factory on 09/09/1942, as part of Army contract C/13870. This was a contract for 3000 WD/CO/B bikes, the B standing for Burman gearbox. The Army was afraid that Albion (who had been making gearboxes for Royal Enfield for ages) wouldn't have enough production capacity, so they split up a 6000 bikes demand in two contracts: C/13869 were 3000 bikes with an Albion gearbox, C/13870 were 3000 bikes with a Burman gearbox...

HBO is a post war Albion gearbox number though...

Regards,

Jan

• Like 1

I may have some bad news for you. Ask the seller if he has that WD/C engine still. The frame is a post war model C frame which has the same number as a 1943 WD/CO.

The front frame tube from seat to top of engine plates has the tell tale spacer needed for the WD/CO engine. Also the rear frames have no boss for the rear stand as per the WD/C as it had a centre stand. The chain guard is a WD/C item also, as are the forks and I think the front wheel spoke pattern.

so the good news is you can leave as is, restore as a WD/C with a replacement engine, gearbox and rear wheel or restore as a WD/CO by replacing the rear frames (difficult to find).

Please don’t be disheartened as this is how most of us start and we end up with a WD/C, WD/CO, G, J, Jeep, Halftrack, Tank, spitfire and the list goes on.

Oops, I have been a bit too quick in my response... And I must admit that Chris is correct. The front frame (with the frame number!) is WD/CO (it has the tapered downtube), but the rear frame and the forks are WD/C indeed...

Jan

Jan, the late WD/C frames also had the tapered down tube. If you look at the photo showing the top of the gearbox, look at the bracket and you can see it’s not wide enough for a CO engine, it’s the width of the C so a spacer has been fitted. I had a post war C frame in the 19,000 range identical to this and I also had another slightly different where the fork damper anchor plate fitted.

Unfortunately.

However, Tyler has a decision to make. Keep as is, restore as a CO or restore as a C.

Or end up with a C and CO!! C Engines and gear boxes are easy to locate, centre stands are available as repro but the rear wheel is difficult to locate.

CO frames are difficult to locate also but they do come along every so often. 

Decisions, decisions.

Uh Oh! Well Chris's eyes have picked up everything there. I must admit, I stared briefly at the rear wheel which looked odd and never twigged that the rear stand lugs are missing. I also know nothing about the post war numbering system.

I think it's still a fun bike as a bobber and mod to the "Bar None Club" 

Tyler if you are licking your wounds? There is the "Customer protection act" as the bike was clearly advertised as a 1943 WD/CO, so you could be in line for a full refund. The wording of the listing makes me believe that the seller was also unaware of its true identity. Or maybe accept a reduction in price and the WD/C engine thrown in if he still has it. 

Worse things happen at sea!!   Ron

14 hours ago, tyler said:

message me if you'd rather not discuss in topic)

On 11/1/2020 at 6:47 PM, Chris Hall said:

Careful examination for marking on the underside may reveal a WD serial number.

Hi Chris, would this be stamped on or painted?

It’s a pressed number usually prefixed WD in one size followed by numbers in another. It’s a large font but shallow pressed so could be under years of paint.

I would say pressed in as they are very uniform markings. I don’t think it means that if you don’t have the marks, it’s not WW2, it could simply be that they serial numbered spare tanks etc. I have no idea why they would number them but I’ve had at least 3 that way. I’ll check my WD/C and see if that one has the number. I’ve unfortunately sold the rest many years ago.

I found one - 17423. Now this came with a matching frame/engine machine 223** from contract C/S 1546. I need to pull another tank out, but I know that that came with a post-war CO, so I'd be surprised if it has a number. Another (with traces of army green evidence) has none. Another tank I have just noticed has a cutout under the tank on both sides of the central saddle. Any idea what it's off? 

IMG_1665.JPG