92 KB 12

Bazz

yeh, coz the army lets you take APCs home for a visit! :what:

Baz and I went with "B" Squadron 15/19H to Cyprus in 76. "A" Squadron (on Foxes) stayed in the UK and replaced us as UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron in March 77.

We quickly learned what A Sqn had been up to in our absence. They undertook a KAPE tour to Keep The Army in the Public Eye.

The regiment's recruiting area was in the North east of England. One Friday morning, a convoy of vehicles, mainly Foxes, set off the length of England from Tidworth.

According to the REME (who always travelled last to pick up the deaders) there was a trail of dead Foxes all the way up the A1.

Anyhow they all eventually arrived safely at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle and parked up. The senior NCO on the tour excused himself to take a comfort break. Meanwhile the subaltern addressed the troops.

"Well, men, you've all done very well and here we are up North, where it's grim." (Young cavalry subaltern had probably never been North of Berkshire before.) "You can all go home for the weekend and see your loved ones. Just be back here first thing Monday morning. Oh, and why don't you take your shiny Foxes home to show Mummy and Daddy?"

Before you could say, "Ha'way the Lads," the vehicle park was empty and the sNCO stepped back out of the building to an eerie silence and leaves eddying and resettling on the vehicle park.

"Where's all the <expletive deleted> vehicles, Sir???"

"I sent the boys home."

sNCO was not happy spending the whole weekend driving around every council estate in the North east of England rounding up Fox CVR(W)s. He made damn sure the subaltern came with him.

Oh how we all larfed.

Dave,

I was right re the history of your Sultan, the Tac Sign on the front right corner,

broken square with C/S 0C signifies it was the second command veh of "B" Sqn.

A= TRIANGLE, B= SQUARE, C = CIRCLE, D= LAZY D. Thats where the name Belfast came from as that is where B Sqn is based.

Barry.

Dave,

Where are you based, might come to visit and talk the talk, could even get my hands dirty. Made me want to weep when i saw her :cry:, all that time and effort keeping her running when i was a lad? :argh:. reply by pm if you want.

Barry.