Restoration 4 - Matchless G3 Panel Tank

flyingfleasteve

Yes they arrived about 10 days ago much to my relief. They are now with their new owner to be fitted to a very rare bike that I'd never heard of. A pre war Tiger 85. I think the bike might be a one off?  Ron

DSCF3597.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Lex,

Yes the barrel went to me, but it’s still with Ron until we’re cleared to start travelling around again.

I’ve been slowly building up parts, but nothing like the progress being made here. Hopefully the restoration will start this summer when my new workshop is built and Steve has stopped hoovering up all the parts 😉.

I’m looking for a 1” throttle twist if anyone knows where to find one. I have a G3L carb and barrel I can trade/part ex.

Regards,

Tom

I had completely forgotten about your barrel Tom and just laid my eyes on it to make sure it hadn't been used as part of a swinging mooring in Poole harbour☺️

The twist grip you need to be absolutely correct is the Bowden type. It took my a long while to find both mine for my G3 and G3L. All I have surplus is a standard 1" Amal with well weather canvas grip.  Probably well sort after by those who like the patinaed war weary look. Ron

Bowden7.jpg

DSCF3639.JPG

As I round up the last of the parts for the built it feels like Christmas has come early again........many weeks of searching I have finally found the correct Bowden throttle barrel, hey presto it fits the clamp like a glove, other parts include a NOS throttle cable and NOS dynamo drive chain. I must say I am over the moon. (Sad I know). One of the nicest things I have found restoring this bike is the community of people around always willing to help and assist. It’s a breath of fresh air in these crazy times.....

CE607B29-3995-4914-BA39-40ADDFAE5AC3.jpeg

8C7C5A65-6079-433C-880F-95F1F4FC9B3B.jpeg

CE03C714-85AC-4B87-AA5E-348D7D25F95D.jpeg

• Like 1

No I had some sand paper too 😉

Joking aside I have a bench grinder to hand which helped achieve the general shape. It would of been much easier with a metal lathe but currently that’s something I do not have.

I made the later type nut first but thought “let’s just have a go”

One more job done.

Hello Gents, 

I’ve just had a quick look on eBay and fortuitously managed to pick up a pair of Bowden clamps, for less than £40, so just need the barrel now.

Steve, I’ll give you a shout when I start the restoration. Just waiting for my new workshop to be erected in a couple of weeks so I can spread out and see what I need for the G3. Always like reading your posts as a reminder of what can be achieved.

Are you still in need of the steering damper plates or did you find one?

Regards,

Tom

On 3/27/2021 at 8:13 AM, flyingfleasteve said:

Wiring started, a nice rewarding job!

BDBF6707-8929-428D-826A-82FC51FA686E.jpeg

53C1AEDE-377F-4474-B799-D00895475817.jpeg

Just a little bit of rivetery-countery and not of such import on a Matchless where the CVC box is slightly hidden, but WD MCR1s up until at least June 1942 were marked 'Lead-Acid' to differentiate them from the pre-war Ni-Fe boxes. On Nortons particularly where they're stuck out on the side, it's noticeable. Does yours still have the original internals, Steve ? If so, what is the date on the back plate ?

IMG_1244.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tom M said:

Hello Gents, 

I’ve just had a quick look on eBay and fortuitously managed to pick up a pair of Bowden clamps, for less than £40, so just need the barrel now.

Steve, I’ll give you a shout when I start the restoration. Just waiting for my new workshop to be erected in a couple of weeks so I can spread out and see what I need for the G3. Always like reading your posts as a reminder of what can be achieved.

Are you still in need of the steering damper plates or did you find one?

Regards,

Tom

Well down Tom, a good spot......I have some damper plates now thank you 👍

17 hours ago, 79x100 said:

Just a little bit of rivetery-countery and not of such import on a Matchless where the CVC box is slightly hidden, but WD MCR1s up until at least June 1942 were marked 'Lead-Acid' to differentiate them from the pre-war Ni-Fe boxes. On Nortons particularly where they're stuck out on the side, it's noticeable. Does yours still have the original internals, Steve ? If so, what is the date on the back plate ?

IMG_1244.JPG

Hi Rich. 
Good spot!

I did look for several weeks for the ‘lead acid’ type but unfortunately failed to find one so I have used the slightly later type. Currently the orginal internal are fitted. I believe from memory it’s dated 44. 👍

So I have managed to get a good day on the built yesterday with a few nice jobs now completed. 

There’s always a set back with each build and this resto is no acceptation, I missed out a spacer on the drive side of the gearbox meaning I had excess side to side play. The gearbox has been stripped again to rectify the issue but I am happy to report it’s now back together! (Correctly)

I am missing the crank shaft breather pipe so before going to far with adding bits to the drive side I need to source one.

the throttle twist grip is now nicely set up and ready to go. I managed to save the original rubber grip and replace it with a new repro one.

I noticed when I took off the old grip that there was signs of service paint underneath, funnily enough the twist grip clamps, purchased from a different source, was also painted. With this in mind should the clamp be painted?

0A173789-63A7-44B2-95FA-057FD0EC9993.jpeg

6F99455B-AACE-4122-9AD2-CACA926633E5.jpeg

7C65F15A-4079-4817-9DF4-D1123116724E.jpeg

428623F4-DA5F-4719-9401-DFA515786B83.jpeg

• Like 1

So a quick question that’s causing me to scratch my head more than normal.....I have a G3 head which fits perfectly to the G3 barrel which I have ready. I purchased a second head, which to the untrained eye looks identical, however when this second head is mounted to the barrel although the bolt pattern lines up, the shape and fins do not line up correctly....I have added some pictures......the head on the left fits correctly the one on the right doesn’t but it still has the exhaust spigot as the G3........I guess my question is we’re there different versions and is it even from a Matchless, maybe AJS?

414C8CEB-9030-4B69-8B29-359262F9F266.jpeg

51054FA4-10CB-44EC-967B-EB5D34644728.jpeg

82E2DD0E-DE3D-4CCF-A43C-26228590F08B.jpeg

Personally I don't know enough about the other AJS and Matchless models (post war and all that) The G3L barrel is smaller, maybe the head is too......The G3 and G3L have different part number for their heads.  Ron 

PS. I don't think my heads have that exhaust spout? 

Edited by Ron