WW1 Karrier Lorry wreck found in Australia

Philliphastings

2 hours ago, Great War truck said:

That is an amazing find. Everything all looks scorched so i guess there has been a fire in the area?

Yes, there have been numerous fires pass through over the years. Hasn't helped preserve what's left but I'm not complaining.

on my next expedition I will take the full size metal detector and really scour the area, mind you, it's all scattered down a treacherous 45-50 degree talus slope over an area of about 50m x 100m so it's no small undertaking.

Cheers

Phill

Edited by Philliphastings

Who would have thought that tiny little plate would have survived. Well done recovering it. 

I might be able to shed some light on model and Year. Please be patient; my paperwork is in Bristol but I'm... not in Bristol. 

Looking forward to seeing what else your metal detector turns up. 

Andy

Do you have access to other pieces needed to complete this frame assembly.  Thanks for sharing your posts as most likely we have all have been on salvage operations similar to this one.  These kind of adventures give us something to think and dream about!

Al

Unfortunately the only parts available are those I manage to uncover each trip.

I'd love to find the engine cylinders, front & rear axles, steering box and wheels but unless/until that happens I'm just collecting interesting bits for the sake of it.

More discoveries are sure to be found in coming weeks

Cheers

Phill

• Like 1

Here’s a few pics of most of the small parts recovered so far including fragments of transmission casing which are like a giant 3D jigsaw puzzle.

I’ve managed to save all the bolts and washers I’ve undone as well. Very good quality material.

I do have a sinking feeling this might turn out to be a later than WW1 model based on the high chassis number and some traces of electric lighting I just picked up.

With that in mind I’m going to take a week or two off the ardous recovery operation while I wait to find out if it’s really worth all the effort.

Cheers for now

Phill

73B42BCA-5C7A-47D1-AC86-6D9FFB4A04A5.jpeg

50E461D8-7D0E-4A28-9EE6-DF845C8F2222.jpeg

62A3E08A-A6DE-4391-AA3A-3E9CC0FB978B.jpeg

• Like 1

HMMMM, It appears that someone went to a bunch of work to break down this Karrier truck.  I wonder why?  If they were after the salvage to sell, it still seems like a bunch of work for what they got out of  it.  If they were after parts from which to improve another Karrier, I guess that is possible but....????  I would think that if the truck got old and simply work out, generally these trucks just become derelict and are drug to a hedge row and left.  What are your thinking?  If it is out away from civilization, was it in an old industrial, mining, logging or agricultural area?  Your Karrier adventure does make me think of a few of my own similar adventures.

Al

So... age and identity. Chassis looks to be a K type from the early '20s. Key give-away from my perspective is that the cradle for the gearbox is riveted in place rather than suspended from hangers as on the WDS. Also the manifold bears a Karrier part number so the chassis had their own engine rather than the Tylor JB4. 

If you take a look on the website of Museum of Transport, Greater Manchester, they have a Karrier K5 recovery vehicle of 1926. Chassis Number is 5608, Engine Number 740.

When I visited them they were extremely helpful and accommodating, allowing me to go under and over, in and out, measuring things and taking photographs. I'll share some of these pictures in due course (they're not currently to hand).

I note that the chassis you have found bears the number 5053. Geoff Lumb asserts that K types started from #5000, so it seems you've found a comparatively early one. 

The engine, if you find it, may look like this:

IMG_1427.thumb.JPG.18bc5241a4406204e0c334042abe9d9a.JPG

Regards and "happy hunting"

Andy (Doc)

• Like 3

Hello Doc and thanks for the research info.

whilst I greatly appreciate a difinative identification, I must admit to a fair degree of dissapointment !

I will continue to recover the rest of the loose parts to save them but the urgency and excitement has waned a bit.

still a very interesting find and a great way to get myself back into shape 

cheers

Phill

6 hours ago, Philliphastings said:

Hello Doc and thanks for the research info.

whilst I greatly aporeciate a difinative identification, I must admit to a fair degree of dissapointment !

I will continue to recover the rest of the loose parts to save them but the urgency and excitement has waned a bit.

still a very interesting find nd a great way to get myself back into shape !

cheers

Phill

Phill,  Consider what you have located as a challenge. It may not fit into the time period you are seeking, but vehicles of this period retained many of the features of the earlier Great war types. Changes were progressive with modifications occurring , then into the mid twenties a greater array of vehicle models appear. 

While you may not have a complete vehicle  on site, it is a start.

A challange also in the recovery  but something to look back on latter ( or curse).

Keep going, keep looking, keep hauling those pieces home.

Doug

• Like 1