WW1 Karrier Lorry wreck found in Australia

Philliphastings

I recently discovered several fascinating wrecks at the base of a cliff including the truck in the following pics which appears to be a Karrier.

I would appreciate any assistance regarding a firm ID and where to find chassis numbers, model and dating etc.

Most of the cast parts have KARR embossed in them. I have begun carrying small parts back up the clff via backpack - a very difficult task indeed !

As for the chassis and torque tube - I have no idea how to recover them on foot and they will probably remain down there unfortunately...

Cheers

Phill

3EED6B10-F07B-4DBC-B426-C2AA16F56261.png

EC983D2E-666B-4B99-AACC-6F3F6BFE0AFA.jpeg

CCED4975-3181-4753-AF6B-98E9C097852A.jpeg

C308B2E9-62D3-409D-8F89-EF54F1279B3F.png

Edited by Philliphastings
Spelling

You really know how to make life hard for yourself don't you ! I suppose it will keep you fit though.

Had these wrecks been tipped over the cliff as a way to dispose of them ? If so I would assume a lot of broken castings and mangled chassis rails. I can't help thinking of Laurel and Hardy wrecking all those classic pre-war cars by pushing them over cliffs.

David

Hello Andy

Well that is quite a coincidence !

I'm secretly hoping to find the plate with a metal detector - you never know.

meanwhile I have been spending hours pouring over your fascinating restoration blog. It is proving to be very helpful identifying parts, even though this truck appears to be a different model to yours.

kind regards

phill

That's not a bad idea and I was thinkng of laying it all out to photograph eventually.

It will take some time of course. The metal detector should turn up some interesting trinkets next visit.

Apart from the mangled chassis frame, the torque tube and the massive torque tube cross member I think I can dismantle most everything else and  manhandle it back to civilization over time.

I'm knd of hoping the engine cylinders mght turn up buried at some point too....

cheers

phill

• Like 3

Then I found a lot more of the transmission case including a corner of the top cover with the other part of the Karrier name cast into it.

I then loaded up my backpack with lots of small parts as well as the other fuel tank saddle bracket, floorboard to dash bracket with accelerator pedal assembly attached, the brake pedal assembly and both side lamp mounting brackets. 

I ran out of daylight to get that all photographed but will catch up all in good time.