coolant/anit-freeze

MiketheBike

Question

Costco are currently selling Prestone coolant/antifreeze concentrate for about £10 for 4ltr

It says its a silicate and phosphate free formula. Is it the silicates in OAT that screw up old engines? If thats the case, is this version of Prestone OK to use in a Ferret, or do I go the safe route and get a glycol antifreeze?

Many Thanks,

Mick

4 answers to this question

Silicates inhibit the corrosion of alloy parts and extend the life of delicate parts. Ethylene Glycol based products it must be remembered have a High Toxicity level. It may be better to go for a HOAT formula for your engine. I think a Phosphate free anti freeze is desirable that inhibites corrosion and electrolysis. Some anti freeze solutions use Propylene Glycol that has a Low Toxicity level but are not quite as good at heat transfer at the same proportions.

3 hours ago, john1950 said:

Silicates inhibit the corrosion of alloy parts and extend the life of delicate parts. Ethylene Glycol based products it must be remembered have a High Toxicity level. It may be better to go for a HOAT formula for your engine. I think a Phosphate free anti freeze is desirable that inhibites corrosion and electrolysis. Some anti freeze solutions use Propylene Glycol that has a Low Toxicity level but are not quite as good at heat transfer at the same proportions.

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

it says on the packaging that it silicate and phosphate free...and can be mixed with any other antifreeze. I am totally refilling, so I guess it should be ok?

Cheers

Mick

1 hour ago, sirhc said:

I've been using Prestone from Costco for years.

Thanks Chris....thats good enough for me 👍

I got the Permatex, so will do that first on the studs and run up to temp with clean water to check for leaks, then refill with Prestone.

Cheers

Mick