Historic Vehicle Status

LarryH57

Got-it  ,  I think,,

So -  to sum-up , in short  -  once the vehicle has achieved 40 years of age (documentary evidence needed) , then you have to wait until the next 1st of April  (That could be several months) , only then   ?  apply to succeed for Historic Status.

• 2 months later...

Horary!

I finally  managed to get my Lwt registered as Historic ( hopefully) at the Post Office, not that the guy behind the counter had much idea what to do at first.

Strangely he said he did not need Form V10 but did take my V5 and the V112.

As for the Vehicle Tax am I correct in thinking I still need to tax it at zero cost each year?

Can I not pay £0 by Direct Debit?

On 2/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, wally dugan said:

What ruxy says is correct if a vehicle reaches 40 old on  the  1 st  of april 2020 you have to wait until after the 1st of april  2021 as  a example

Wally - will there be  "administrative"  difficulties in  -  FIRST  registration DIRECTLY  into 'Historic status'    ?       

There should not be any problems if all the documents are present for the DVLA last year a friend applied for historic status his vehicle was  released in the mid sixties and was not registered for the road as it was used on a local estate by the game keeper until it was replaced for a more modern type of vehicle. The original sale release document was lost over the years but a copy of the  record  card showing when and were it was sold along with proof of year manufacture  along with other supporting  evidence was enough for the DVLA . This was done by both of us we did not get any club to verify the  documentation  as copies of all the sources  were attached may be he was lucky or the man dealing with it was in a good mood or he had some idea of what it was ?

2 hours ago, wally dugan said:

There should not be any problems if all the documents are present for the DVLA last year a friend applied for historic status his vehicle was  released in the mid sixties and was not registered for the road as it was used on a local estate by the game keeper until it was replaced for a more modern type of vehicle. The original sale release document was lost over the years but a copy of the  record  card showing when and were it was sold along with proof of year manufacture  along with other supporting  evidence was enough for the DVLA . This was done by both of us we did not get any club to verify the  documentation  as copies of all the sources  were attached may be he was lucky or the man dealing with it was in a good mood or he had some idea of what it was ?

Thanks ,  I have a few stored since late last century and early this century , manuf.   1979  to 1984.   Have  'Release Note'  and auction/sales receipts.  I suppose it is not a totally unusual situation to Post Office  ?

• 3 weeks later...

Historic Status for a 1980 Land Rover Lwt GS - The story so far!

I sent my request off via the Post Office at the beginning of April and have not heard any thing since. I then discover that the DVLA have been on strike  and will be again on 4th May, all this is due to Covid and need for separation etc that was not carried out fast enough for their staff union. 

Anyway I phoned DVLA but was told not to phone and instead use the online Chat. So I signed up for a Chat with the promise of a handler, but was then told by the 'AI computer bot', this system was too busy, so go away and try later.

But I persevered and after 45 mins of trying, I was told by an actual human being, that they had my Post Office request but the V5 will take 8 weeks until the end of May to be despatched by DVLA. I said I did not care, as long as they marked their system so that any automatic number plate checks by camera or police car would know I'm now Historic. Sadly, they said the change to Historic status cannot be done without a new V5 being issued and these are delayed (as above). However they did promise to put any ULEZ / Council in the picture if I get fined, so a full refund would be made if I had to pay first and fight later. I was also told to advise the TFL, in case I strayed in to their other Congestion Zone.

I also said that as at 1st May I need to pay my VED (Car Tax) on the vehicle and that I need a reminder in order to do this, as it still needs to be taxed at Nil cost each year. Amazingly they said they have already done this for me and that I need do nothing more till end of April 2022, so that's some comfort, as quasi proof.

I was advised to keep a printed copy of my on-line chat and discussion with a human at the DVLA, plus my Post Office receipt, and have it with me whenever I drive the Lwt in May until my new V5 arrives.

Edited by LarryH57

Hard to believe how complex ,  I would guess a deep $hit situation avoided providing you have that printed copy of on-line chat.  Just think - the power of avoiding litigation on the word of a profit seeking (for management bonus)  QUANGO.    I was once pulled on a very rural seldom used road by a police car , I assume using automatic number plate check - I can't recall any reason given (it was a company vehicle so I didn't give a damm) ,   they had a police motor-cyclist for  "pursuit"   LoL

Have a look at your online entry - on the DVLA site and see whether your vehicle is now marked as exempt from MoTs.  Mine had been so within a couple of days of having submitted the form, even though the V5 took a couple more weeks to come back to me.

I have just checked and it is still the same, but I will check on 1st May so that I can check what I have in my online Chat print out matches what he said - £0 paid for VED until April 2022.

Edited by LarryH57

• 2 weeks later...

The TFL in London said my Lwt will never be exempt from the Congestion Charge, as Historic makes no difference. It only gives an exemption to the ULEZ - but I'm not sure if that applied or not as my Lwt is PLG, not a bus or minibus or van etc. 

However if the new (same) Mayor of London extends the Congestion Zone area, then driving to a friends house to pick him up for WPR shows may involve a longer journey, and more pollution!

I won't be attending shows that involve driving through Bath, Birmingham and any other big city that wishes to squeeze more money from me either.