M16 Halftrack restoration/build. A long long road.

Just looked at the REME Museum site and promised myself a visit as soon as covid allows. We tried to find some photos of the M9 to no avail, but found some others which are interesting for another thread, so thanks for the nudge. I think the tracks last about 1,000 miles on hard surfaces but cross-country is more interesting. Have fun.

I’m enjoying your project and the detail in the pics, well done.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I received a photo of the M45 I shall be receiving. It’s on an M20 trailer which will be surplus and I don’t think there’s much of a market for them so it will likely sit propped up under some t

Yeah I’ve had no luck with 1/4” plate, everyone says they have it until you ask if it’s really 1/4” or just 6mm. im in the states next year so may buy some big sheets and bring it back in our ISO

Christmas has indeed come early. Here’s Santa unloading the Maxson, or was it the Half a track?   Yep, it was 5pm and pitch black! Had to make a right meal of the slings to get it off.....bu

Posted Images

I’m thinking I will be purchasing a crate engine from BAIV. The engine that came installed needs a lot of work. At best it needs a rebore due to the cylinders being corroded, 2 very badly. The generator needs new bearings, the carb is rusted solid and the distributor is also solid with only the shell being salvageable. For the cost of having it rebuilt (or the parts for) I would likely save money by buying one of BAIVs surplus rebuilt stock.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think that that is a crane but a tower that erects itself. It does not seem to have any pulleys at the top (which is the free end nearest the ground) so I guess there was a cage or platform that climbed the tower under its own power. All the mechanism visible seems to be purely for raising and unfolding the two sections of the tower.

David

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

I'm a newbie here so just started reading your fascinating thread. Do you still need a steel supplier or did you source your armour plate? I have a client runs AJ Steels in Coventry - I can ask him - what plate sizes do you need?

Edited by timbo33

I’ve managed to get some thanks, a local place called laserfab. It was only £240 for the rear panel (huge) 2 side panels (1/2 as huge), 2 doors and a panel to fit under the rear. I was getting quotes for £1000 just for the rear panel!

• Like 1