M16 Halftrack restoration/build. A long long road.

Chris Hall

On 2/11/2021 at 5:33 PM, Citroman said:

Did find another pic of the dutch overhead cable constructors in our newpaper archive. Looks like a crane on this one.

halftrack.jpg

That could have been mine!  it was converted exactly like that, but looking more closely, it seems to be an International, not a White, many were used in Holland like this, up to 20 years ago!

Cheers,

Lex

I saw that episode on tv and in typical tv fashion, it’s not what it appears to be.

The Halftrack shown is an M3 personnel carrier that someone has made to look like a post war M16A1 by welding in a non standard floor on top of the M3 floor. You can see the home made floor flexing and the M45 moving around. It won’t be long before it breaks free!

It would be more valuable as an m3 with the Maxson and DIY floor removed. It’s also got lots of parts missing including the Maxson shield, they were either ripped off or it was all fake for tv.

Good to see the M2s firing though. Nothings better than watching a 50 cal firing except for maybe 4 of them.

• 4 weeks later...

No progress for a while. I’ve got some more parts held for me by a fellow forum member and I’m buying a load whilst I’m in the US. 

I’ve now got most of the interior fixtures and fittings, a NOS winch radiator, some cab flooring parts, new hinges, gear stick/PTO knobs and master brake cylinder. Hopefully should have some doors and a few bits of armour coming and I’ve a lead on a Tulsa 18 winch.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, Chris Hall said:

I saw that episode on tv and in typical tv fashion, it’s not what it appears to be.

The Halftrack shown is an M3 personnel carrier that someone has made to look like a post war M16A1 by welding in a non standard floor on top of the M3 floor. You can see the home made floor flexing and the M45 moving around. It won’t be long before it breaks free!

It would be more valuable as an m3 with the Maxson and DIY floor removed. It’s also got lots of parts missing including the Maxson shield, they were either ripped off or it was all fake for tv.

Good to see the M2s firing though. Nothings better than watching a 50 cal firing except for maybe 4 of them.

$85k and you do not even get a working speedometer or winch cable.

think they need a new expert to assess the military vehicles they have offered to them .

• 1 month later...

It’s been a good 6 weeks since I made an update. I’m still in the USA with another 5 weeks to go. Managed to buy lots of parts to take home.

Pair of fenders

NOS radiator

NOS regulator

NOS shielded Distributor

NOS fuel pump

NOS filter box

200 armour screws

2 x Scout car/early HT wheels

new brake master cylinder

new Quad mount battery cover & step

5 x black out lamps

some original armour plates

New Door parts (no doors available)

NOS break rheostat 

tons of small parts

M16 wall Grenade Box

Some true 1/4” steel plate to repair some armour plate

The only things I’ve not been able to obtain that I wanted are the winch and the hood armour (couldn’t get it delivered to the hotel). Hopefully next time I’m here I can get them delivered to a local garage/parts store for a small fee.

• Like 2

If the part is not available in the UK it would obviously be very expensive here so HMC should levy a special extra charge to bring the imported part up to the same level. Of course, the effort that you went to to go and acquire the very rare part in an unfamiliar country and ship it home proves how keen you are to get it and should be taxed too.

This is called an integrated policy.

David

• Haha 1

More stuff arrived today. Battery box top and side armour, left and right door pillars and right side engine armour plate. Oddly enough the doors that were sent at the same time have yet to arrive. 

At the weekend I’ve got the 6” and 10” Maxson M45 riser rings to collect. Parts are coming along nicely now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up a Tulsa 18G for the HT on Saturday. It was a bit of a gamble as the seller couldn’t find any details on it. It needs some work and there’s a few parts missing. I luckily was gifted a few missing parts before I’d even seen this one for sale. I never thought I’d find one in the UK.

The drive end has been reversed and the non drive end is from a Braden winch so I’ll need to replace it with the correct Tulsa part (shown in the borrowed photo of the restored winch parts)4EB806D9-EFD6-4B0E-B533-4DF119660275.thumb.jpeg.2063969a1e3381b4279e4bfd2d87fc0a.jpeg2D15168B-B4FD-4628-963C-04B9DB610DC2.thumb.jpeg.ed9677c54d78e10f27a29bd93c29637d.jpeg8F98183F-26AF-4887-8E03-374B78DA8AF6.thumb.jpeg.744ef4c826320c3eed88bd4bf3cb02b2.jpeg

BA15E16F-9188-4B65-836E-466A4388DB7D.thumb.jpeg.d47271177bb44ef26fb3e2347523139e.jpeg

Edited by Chris Hall
Photos cropped
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

It’s been 6 months since my last post, I’ve been a little busy at work due to the current situation in Eastern Europe.

However I have got a few things done, gearbox and tranny case have been rebuilt. Some bits have been repaired, primed and fitted to ensure they will fit.

Im just on with the fenders at the moment, they are 2mm thick steel tinware and really take some work.

Picked up a near complete winch, I guess from an IH but they are the same.

Everything that is in red primer has been repaired and fitted /re-fitted to ensure it does fit. 

A0EF07C8-9D8E-4A38-BA83-470EA0B3CE96.thumb.jpeg.6db6d31aba987560853cd0b9e6ae3426.jpeg

5F23CC32-B3A3-4DF2-8061-4FB1C26ED2F4.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Another few months have past, got the hood panels off the M3 blasted and welded, making grooves in the multiple cracks is a right royal PITA.  Primed  them and fitted them to the M16 and I think they’ll fit nicely when I can get some more hinges.

599DAFB2-F05D-43AC-8343-E02930529E4A.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

After much jigging around I got all the armour plates to align properly, I just need to buy some Jeep body mounting pads to fit the radiator Louvre frame, and all should be good.

I managed to salvage the original inner hinges by heating and straightening and exercising the hing pin. They came out quite well so they got shot blasted, painted and fitted today. That meant I could fit the vertical hood panel but the hood latches need freeing up which means they need disassembling.

Next job will be the fenders, I’ve done some serious repairs to one of them and it only needs a little welding, blasting and priming to finish. The second one is better and only needs a section welding in and a dent knocking out (which is easier said than done on this gauge of steel).

EB3E70BB-6565-4573-B52D-338F54BFE4AE.jpeg

• Like 9