Scammell Explorer Full Service

I don’t have any parts from it at all just as is. Do you think it is likely to cause damage without it? Would like to know outcome of experiments. 
I have got hold of some C600 gear oil which I understand is correct for walking beams will this be suitable for rear diff?

Thanks

22 hours ago, WillMarshall said:

I don’t have any parts from it at all just as is. Do you think it is likely to cause damage without it? Would like to know outcome of experiments. 
I have got hold of some C600 gear oil which I understand is correct for walking beams will this be suitable for rear diff?

Thanks

Hi Will

OC 600 is the right oil for the rear diff and walking beams and a few other things, you will need a oil pump of some sort  as damage will probably happen to the worm bearings , I never heard of anyone running a explorer without one but someone my know differently.

Regards Butch

Robert Crowther had a thread on here about this very subject when he discovered his Explorer Dora had either a damaged or missing pump.

Can't find the thread, but I seem to remember he put a remote pump on, without a cooler.

Maybe a diligent search by someone with more patience will find the thread.

Edited by gritineye

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2011 at 8:08 PM, rbrtcrowther said:

just thought i would pop this Rear axle modification on here. Basically a 1/2 bsp pipe fashioned into a scoop fitted into the worm housing part of the axle case with a pipe to take the oil under gravity to the rear bearing to provide extra lube.

Only do this if you have run out of oil pump options and its all smashed to bits. I will let you know how it fairs after many miles.... Never know it might keep another knackerd old scammell on the road...

rear axle oil pump broken.jpg

2011-11-01 21.00.35.jpg

2011-11-01 21.01.50.jpg

2011-11-01 21.02.33.jpg

10 hours ago, Jayvee2003 said:

Hopefully the previous is the post you were after. Page 22 of Scammell workarounds and fixes.  Always found Robert Crowther's posts to be entertaining and interesting. A pity he's not been on the forum since 2017.

Thanks for reposting this looks an interesting set up would love to know the results. After a few short runs the bearing does seem to always be getting some oil on it be it a small amount.