Scammell Explorer Full Service

Thanks Dave that’s a big help. Running a rolls royce 220 I have 15w 40 for that an filters on order.
Am I right in thinking 80/90 for rear axle, walking beams, gear box, transfer case an both winch boxes? I was told the front axle needs 80/140 does this sound right ?

location North Lincs

Thanks

Hi Will,

from memory, it's sae 140 in the rear diff. Sae 90 in all the others. If you a search on here you'll eventually get most of the info you need.

your the other end of England to me but closer to quite a few Explorers in the middle of the country.

if you happen to come across a spare transfer box or rear diff please let me know as I'm looking for both.

Dave.

That’s great thanks Dave. I also hear it is a good idea to check the oil pump in the back axle that is in the list of many things to do. 
I will keep an eye out but I’m quite new to Scammells got rid of our Stalwart few years back just replaced it with this 1955 explorer. Probably quite recognised in its current colours. 

image.jpg

😊 so your the new custodian of Natts. Well done you sir. That ones famous. I do hope you maintain the colour scheme.

yes, check the pump is still there. If it's got the heat exchanger on the driver side of the diff then it's more likely to be present. Mine was missing when I got mine and I couldn't find another so had to make one.

Yep one proud owner here. Will be retaining the name an having a full re paint haven’t made my mind up on colours it is showing signs of green under many layers of flaking paint in a few places. 

Do you have a photo of the heat exchanger? I believe mine could have been removed 

image.jpg

1 hour ago, WillMarshall said:

I will keep an eye out but I’m quite new to Scammells got rid of our Stalwart few years back just replaced it with this 1955 explorer. Probably quite recognised in its current colours. 

Hi Will,

I have some photos of this old girl from about 33 years ago at a AWDC/MVT off road event on Bovington tank training area, will have to find them and scan.

I think Natts was the first Explorer I ever noticed, Weavers Down 30 odd yrs ago! 

The heat exchanger can be left off unless you intend hauling tanks across the desert.

Don't forget to grease the 114 grease nipples as you carry out your service..

Original heat exchanger.IMG_4430.thumb.JPG.041865f2121567210d306795ee1df144.JPGmine was missing when I got her. My diff is very warn and I believe due to this generates a lot of heat. Measured after a road run at 100 degrees. This resulted in the input shaft oil seal getting cooked. Subsequently I've made a replacement pump and used an MBG oil cooler to cool the oil as it's pumped round. This keeps it all below 65 degrees.

if your diff is good just monitor the casing temperature around the bearings and if cool then it'll be ok.

the bearings cost hundreds of pounds !!!.

Yep mine has definitely been removed I will remove rear cover an have a look at oil pump tonight. I have no plans to be doing a lot of towing or big mileage for a while yet so will change oil an keep an eye on temperature on some short runs.
Slowly working around the grease nipples getting messy. 
I am looking at getting a manual/parts list but the only one I can find is for a first generation is there much difference will this be suitable?

Thanks

Well this is what lay behind the inspection cover along with some water an plenty of rusty crud. The bearing has been running in a small amount of oil an appears in good shape. I am not planning on doing big mileage or towing weight long distance. Should I be worried about this or give it all a good clean flush with diesel an fresh oil?  

Not sure what happened there

Not sure what happened there

Hi Will

There is only a small amount of oil normally inside the cover which works its way there when driving, should be clean though, have you took the oil pump off to check it  already as it is missing in the photo .

15 minutes ago, Butch said:

Hi Will

There is only a small amount of oil normally inside the cover which works its way there when driving, should be clean though, have you took the oil pump off to check it  already as it is missing in the photo .

No oil pump present just as I removed cover was a little concerned about the water that run out but what oil there was didn’t look terrible 

6 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Will,

There should be two photos here at the MVT/AWDC end of season event at Bovington Camp, I think this was about 1987.

regards, Richard

Natts 1.png

Natts 2.png

Thanks Richard, great photos that explains all the holes in the front grille. Will get these printed. Much appreciated 

The correct oil level is when it's at the top of the filler neck. The oil in the rear cover gets there from splash when the diff rotates. At about 7 o'clock below the bearing is a drain hole back to the bottom of the diff. The same level applies to the gearbox, transfer box and front axle.

25 minutes ago, WillMarshall said:

No oil pump present just as I removed cover was a little concerned about the water that run out but what oil there was didn’t look terrible 

Do you have a oil pump as spares are quite thin on the ground, someone on here was experimenting a few years back in fabricating a alternative way to pump the oil around the diff but I don't know the outcome.