Penman trailer light

Having I think found the short on the number plate light I am stumped trying to find a source for the cable and connector, I have looked in the manual but no part is distinctly identified.

As can be seen from the picture the wire has been stripped back at some point, which is where the water is entering the system, I think.

Can anyone help with the name of it, it is soldered onto the light fitting which I can do, its getting the part I need help with.

The other thing i noticed was some one had painted the light reflector white.

IMG_20200822_160848.jpg

IMG_20200822_160854.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

That looks like them, its the one on the left I need to shorten the cable, looking at the picture i wonder if there is a way to open the existing to sort?

Edited by Surveyor

The pins and sockets are push fit with the wire crimped onto them. They can be pulled out again if you can relieve the tang that springs into position to hold it. A thin strip of metal or plastic pushed in from the open end should do the trick.

If you look closely at the pin and socket in the picture you may get the idea. If it all goes wrong at least you can get a new one...

It looks as if it was fitted after manufacture as they would have been finished better than that, I would hope.

4 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

The pins and sockets are push fit with the wire crimped onto them. They can be pulled out again if you can relieve the tang that springs into position to hold it. A thin strip of metal or plastic pushed in from the open end should do the trick.

If you look closely at the pin and socket in the picture you may get the idea. If it all goes wrong at least you can get a new one...

It looks as if it was fitted after manufacture as they would have been finished better than that, I would hope.

Yes that's my thinking as an after fit, maybe when the number plate light went? going to have a better look latter, but as you say can get a replacement if needed

We usually fit a complete wiring loom to the Penman trailers if there is any lighting fault at aĺl. The number plate light looks very similar to the one fitted to Land Rover Wolf's which have the same connectors. May be worth trying to get a Wolf one or I could see if we have one lying about at work on Monday.

Thanks for the offer, the more I look at it the more I realise is been a repair, I think some one else at the Penman Factory when i was getting a bit said something similar about replacing the whole wiring system. 

IMG_1919.JPG

Edited by Surveyor

It would be very easy to re-do what you have and make a more professional job of it. The pins can be soldered back on with shorter wire,  a small amount of solder, some heat shrink tubing to tidy the ends and it could be pleasingly neat.

That's the aim as was never happy looking at it, as said only noticed when sorting the rest of the electrics sorted, it was originally tucked behind the number plate frame, need to check length of wire in case sorting it and cutting a wire will make it 2 short, just measured the wire and looks like 6mm diameter

Before Furlough, I fitted many superseals to wiring looms at work for use on vehicles.

For wires up to 1.5mm Supaseal could be a bit fiddly take care with the crimping, highly likely you will need a spare set.

Not sure if the connector is suitable for soldering.

We used a larger fitting for wire sizes above 1.5 mm to 6mm.

Edited by ploughman

28 minutes ago, ploughman said:

Before Furlough, I fitted many superseals to wiring looms at work for use on vehicles.

For wires up to 1.5mm Supaseal could be a bit fiddly take care with the crimping, highly likely you will need a spare set.

Not sure if the connector is suitable for soldering.

We used a larger fitting for wire sizes above 1.5 mm to 6mm.

Many thanks for the comments, Always learning