Bovington stug 3

paul a

What is going on with Bovington first they ruin there own ex finish Stug 3 then are getting  rid if a super restored privately owned working  stug what on earth are the management thinking about ( delete the word thinking) maybe they are competing with the IWM in a race to the bottom

40 minutes ago, paul a said:

What is going on with Bovington first they ruin there own ex finish Stug 3 then are getting  rid if a super restored privately owned working  stug what on earth are the management thinking about ( delete the word thinking) maybe they are competing with the IWM in a race to the bottom

Write them a letter/email and ask them.....

A lot has changed in the last twenty years in museums and not for the good  in the past the people involved had a practical background and believed in what there role was now it seems to be ran by staff that for them it's  just a job . The case's mentioned are not uncommon there  are other museums where this has happened and do not bother what has become of there once owned items

I don't know any of the details here (& I suspect I'm not alone in this...), but playing 'devil's advocate' for a second, might I point out that the entire museums sector has taken a MASSIVE hit as a result of coronavirus & the resulting enforced closures, which has meant that for most of them their non-grant income has been reduced to zero or close to.

If the privately-owned StuG came with any ongoing financial implications for the museum, either in rental charges, maintenance commitments or basic running/wear & tear costs, then I can see why management may have had to make unpopular decisions in these straitened times.

Just my two penn'orth...

• Like 1

Hi 11th Armd,

Sorry but yes, you do not know any details, so why take such a pessimistic view of the StuG and its owner, in fact there are no strings attached, its freely loaned to Bovington, and all they have to do is put fuel in it, it is availabe when and wherever they want to use it, can use their own qualified drivers. All other costs are bourne by the owner.

No other costs other than fuel, but have shown very little interest, really do not want it, and they have had this attitude long before Covid 19 was around.

cheers paul  

Edited by paul hocking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paul hocking said:

Hi 11th Armd,

Sorry but yes, you do not know any details, so why take such a pessimistic view of the StuG and its owner, in fact there are no strings attached, its freely loaned to Bovington, and all they have to do is put fuel in it, it is availabe when and wherever they want to use it, can use their own qualified drivers. All other costs are bourne by the owner.

No other costs other than fuel, but have shown very little interest, really do not want it, and they have had this attitude long before Covid 19 was around.

cheers paul  

Yes Paul, and the operative word in what I wrote was "If", so thank you for clarifying matters, but no "pessimistic view of the StuG and its owner" was made nor implied, I trust you'll concede.

As an onlooker to yet another apparent TM bashing thread (StuGs & their maltreatment seems to be the soup du jour at present, it appears), I was simply stating a possible reason (in my own admitted ill-informed opinion) for the reported reluctance of the TM to continue with hosting an externally owned vehicle. It appears I was wrong, which is absolutely fine by me - it's a poor day that goes by when you can't say you've learned something...

Kevin

• Like 2