EX ADF Series 2a 109 (WOFTAM)

Well sold the hardtop off the series 3 SWB..... looks nicer topless

The wings on the 109 fire truck are driving me insane... keep finding hidden ones... got 2 to go (I hope) on the rhs one  Just waiting for the sun to go down a bit.  Not looking forward to the 3 more wings after this

20201011_133837.jpg

Edited by fesm_ndt
spelling

32 minutes ago, fesm_ndt said:

Still more bolts..  i had delusions both would be off today..... power hack saw down the rusty front panel 😁 saved me 5 rusty rounded bolts

20201011_163353.jpg

Australia & RUST  free   ?     I was once told by a farmer's daughter from Albany ,  not so &  it varies lots and all their land was SALT  ,  in any case you should never park above grass or vegetation because it creates on undersides a 'micro-climate' of damp  !  ?

7 hours ago, ruxy said:

Australia & RUST  free   ?     I was once told by a farmer's daughter from Albany ,  not so &  it varies lots and all their land was SALT  ,  in any case you should never park above grass or vegetation because it creates on undersides a 'micro-climate' of damp  !  ?

yep the fire truck is from down that way..... go out Kalgoorlie way and 100 year old wrecks are rust free.... well unless mud is allowed to stay stuck in crevices

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fesm_ndt said:

yep the fire truck is from down that way..... go out Kalgoorlie way and 100 year old wrecks are rust free.... well unless mud is allowed to stay stuck in crevices

You know , when Solihull started their  "Born Again" project  - I understand they sourced some trucks from Oz. to get sound chassis - then started business privateers importing same to UK , that prior was more or less personal re-import.   I understand LR spotters were sourcing from Queensland - yet I would have expected the more humid atmosphere would have caused early 'perforation'  ?

9 hours ago, ruxy said:

You know , when Solihull started their  "Born Again" project  - I understand they sourced some trucks from Oz. to get sound chassis - then started business privateers importing same to UK , that prior was more or less personal re-import.   I understand LR spotters were sourcing from Queensland - yet I would have expected the more humid atmosphere would have caused early 'perforation'  ?

its becoming a problem here as many exporters here are making big bucks

• 3 months later...

Ok a minor update as i had 4 S2a's and now none....

Why...

Well I bought this around 6 weeks ago from the other side of Australia.  Havent so far been able to collect as had 2 flights cancelled due to cyclones and this Saturdays flight cancelled due to a UK variant covid outbreak!!!  So most likely will be the 28th fly over.

Always wanted one and this one was a good price with a trailer

20201231_110847.jpg

20201231_110923.jpg

20201231_111555.jpg

20201231_111613.jpg

IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg

IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No injuries to yourself I hope  ?        Did the trailer flip you ?     I see you have been using one of those spurious origins combi. ring & ball hitches rather than a D-B  pintle of proper NATO design for ring only - that I understand is standard equipment with Oz. military Perentie.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:38 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Crikey that was bad luck, was it the left hand rear tyre that gave out (?), I can see it deflated. Hope you were not injured.

They had laid new road base and was around a four inch drop.  Left hand trailer tyre dropped in, I got it out and started fishtailing, and in an instant it was flipping.

In hindsight should have driven straight off the road as flat treeless desert... But hindsight never helps afteri thought it was game over

On 4/8/2021 at 2:52 AM, ruxy said:

No injuries to yourself I hope  ?        Did the trailer flip you ?     I see you have been using one of those spurious origins combi. ring & ball hitches rather than a D-B  pintle of proper NATO design for ring only - that I understand is standard equipment with Oz. military Perentie.

Yep the trailer...came with the vehicle, even on the heavy camber single lane bitumen it was twitchy

On 4/8/2021 at 6:36 AM, robin craig said:

Mike, so sorry to see your misfortune on here. Are you yourself OK?

Luckily just really depressed as was having a great time up until then.  I got out of it, made some shade, crawled into a ball and I guess shock set in... A guy found me around an hour later then another hour back to Boulia and hospital.... Tons of bruising but only got bad pain from it around three days later when I got back to Perth

I'm amazed when the top of the window frame came out and roof came off I didn't crush an arm 

The people in the small country town  really looked after me, which was quite emotional

So lucky and unlucky in the same breath

Edited by fesm_ndt
Bad spelling

37 minutes ago, fesm_ndt said:

A guy found me around an hour later then another hour back to Boulia and hospital....

I assumed you were crossing the Nullabore  when this happened............. I remember camping the night in Boulia many years ago. Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt.

10 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

I assumed you were crossing the Nullabore  when this happened............. I remember camping the night in Boulia many years ago. Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt.

Yep I was taking the back way to Alice then Alice accross to WA

1 hour ago, ruxy said:

How many  m.p.h.    ?

About 70kmh as just crossed a new cattle grid. I got the whole trip on Garmin satellite, which now is a bit amusing.

Amusing as a few of the guys wanted to keep a track of me as the middle of nowhere.  They thought I had stopped for a toilet break.

Oh and another lesson learnt... Keep everything you may need in your pockets... Phone was in the middle of road... Satellite Garmin with SOS function under the car

FB_IMG_1618165657797.jpg

• Like 1

So  ,   43.12  m.p.h.    not much ,   I have a pothole in front of my entrance approx. 2ft x 3ft  & getting bigger presently 3" / 4"  deep but increasing in size & depth.  Adopted road and  30 m.p.h.  limit.   No problem for Defenders & Disco.   - they go through no bother at up to abt.  60 m.p.h.   and towing trailers , often with livestock  (horse transporters go slower).   Through the topping and the  16" wheels are now throwing out the 40mm ballast sub. base.    

Best to keep well clear when full of water  !

I can't get my head around the road surface problem you describe ,  seems a step fresh laid between near & offside wheels  ?   the vehicle steering thrown crossing the step  ?

On 4/12/2021 at 4:32 AM, ruxy said:

I can't get my head around the road surface problem you describe ,  seems a step fresh laid between near & offside wheels  ?   the vehicle steering thrown crossing the step  ?

imagine the roadbase was 3 - 4 inches on top of the old road base with a vertical drop. The trailer LH wheel dropped off that edge and got caught and dug in.

The adf trailer design I feel compounded the problem as I noticed on the high cambered single lane tarmac it loved swinging off with the camber.

However in the accident when it dug in I pulled it out but that caused it to fishtail which caused the rear end of the Perentie to fishtail and an instant later it was flipping.

It seemed to only fall on its side but it got a whip up... The mechanics of it I can't fathom as it appears the trailer got a good wind up as they had to cut the chains with bolt cutters and in the photo it's on its wheels but it had spun a few times.  The trailer had 6 spares in it

Mike, I really share your pain.  a good number of years ago I attended the graduation of my daughter from middle school during a difficult time of my life. Witnessing that was a high as a parent. Later that day I was cut off while driving my 1 tonne Land Rover (FC) by a pair of drunks who didn't stop and were never caught. They had been buying beer in a store moments before, so witnessed. The purchase of the 1 tonne was a money making buy and sell and I had it sold tentatively. The truck rolled after catching the gravel should under heavy braking and I was lucky to get out alive, like you. I had pioneer tools and chains and chain saws etc in the back and the spare saved me plus the twin roll bar. The swing from high to low during that day make me physically sick as my investment took a hit, massively.

I made it through and eventually clawed my way back up. Its hard and takes a lot of time. You are lucky.

8 hours ago, ruxy said:

I see -  your mention of  "chains"   -  is that a pair of chains , one each side of draw-bar to limit articulation & in theory prevent a snake  ?

No I believe they are only required on civilian registered trailers in case the hitch disconnects.  Typically 2 chains but I have seen with one

Talking about hitches I remember a 101 Land Rover towing a Noddy went around a tight bend and it fell over.  The lesson was the hitch on the vehicle should be locked and the hitch on the trailer unlocked