FV 434 starter motor problem

diesel1

So,      the two large white leads heading off to the starter motor,  1 is a negative, the other carrying 24 volts,

in the engine junction box I located the starter motor solenoid wire, when I press the engine starter switch, 19-20 volts runs through this,

im thinking it's a faulty starter motor,  does everyone agree ?  or have I missed something.

Andrew

I am no genius in life or electrically as many will tell you. We at work have had starting issues with ours and found the stand alone solenoid behind the piano boards had stuck in place. Once we had stripped that down and cleaned it and put it back together it started.

That is my input for you mate

1 hour ago, andym said:

Is that 20V with the starter motor plugged in?  What happens to the 28V across the batteries when you press the starter switch?

Andy

The pack is in the 434 so everything plugged in, (70hrs on pack)

The battery's are showing 24.5 volts,  when the starter switch is operated batteries are showing 23.15 on the multimeter

The batteries are a bit low, should be nearer 28V if fully charged.  However, if the battery volts aren't dropping noticeably when you operate the starter switch it sounds as though the starter motor isn't taking any significant current.  That would suggest a duff starter motor, but only 20V at the junction box worries me a bit.  It might be worth opening the DLB and checking the state of the starter relay in the lid.  It looks like a cobbled-on afterthought, mainly because it is!  (A modification to protect the starter switch from the higher solenoid current of the later type of starter motor).

Andy

1 hour ago, andym said:

The batteries are a bit low, should be nearer 28V if fully charged.  However, if the battery volts aren't dropping noticeably when you operate the starter switch it sounds as though the starter motor isn't taking any significant current.  That would suggest a duff starter motor, but only 20V at the junction box worries me a bit.  It might be worth opening the DLB and checking the state of the starter relay in the lid.  It looks like a cobbled-on afterthought, mainly because it is!  (A modification to protect the starter switch from the higher solenoid current of the later type of starter motor).

Andy

Thanks Andy, 

Ive had the jump leads on from the sabre to no effect,, i d put a 24 volt supply on the solenoid wire in the engine junction box in case the 20v was a little low but nothing happened not a sound.

2 hours ago, diesel1 said:

I'm needing to move it, are there ok to be tow started without damaging anything internally ?

They can be tow started but I'd be inclined to check that the engine is free to rotate first in case the starter motor pinion has jammed.

Andy