MoT Exemption

Please excuse me in that I think I had the answer to my question but I’ve ‘lost it’. Increasing age might have to be my only excuse.

Ex-Military vehicles with age related registration marks; for one with “declared manufactured” 1980 is it now MoT exempt or will it be so after the end of 2020 or some other time?

Thank you.

Paul.

59 minutes ago, Rootes75 said:

If it is over 7.5 tons does it not fall into the Historic category meaning it needs to be pre-1960 for MOT exemption?

40 year old Historic Comercial vehicles  over 3.5 ton built After 1960 are Not MOT exempt

Edited by Nick Johns
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nick Johns said:

40 year old Historic Comercial vehicles  over 3.5 ton built After 1960 are Not MOT exempt

Agreed.

But just look at the amount of sellers on ebay and the like claiming commercials are exempt when they are from the 60's/70's.

In the back of my mind there is 2 cut off dates in the 40 year bit tax exemption and MOT exemption are different one goes by the year and one goes by the month something like that one takes the year one takes the financial year

Edited by oats and barley
mistake

5 hours ago, oats and barley said:

In the back of my mind there is 2 cut off dates in the 40 year bit tax exemption and MOT exemption are different one goes by the year and one goes by the month something like that one takes the year one takes the financial year

You are confusing the issue.  As I said, a vehicle can be registered as a vehicle of historic interest from the 1st of April following the year in which it reaches 40.  As any vehicle being so registered requires a current valid MoT on the date the application is made, then the date of MoT renewal thereafter is completely irrelevant as, once the vehicle is VHI, it will no longer require an MoT.  But, if the MoT runs out prior to the application being made, then the vehicle cannot be registered as a VHI and a new MoT must be obtained.  I am in that position myself as I cannot get an MoT at the moment.

10 68

Well i must be mistaken i recently registered a Dodge WC51 Historic with no MOT and also a previously MOTd 1978 SWB military Landrover historic with no MOT the  Land rover had no MOT when i bought it and had no MOT when i sold it it was reclassified as tax and MOT exempt and there is a different cut off point between tax and MOT 

1 hour ago, oats and barley said:

The DVLA says Quote you do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 JAN 1980 .this does not apply to large vehicles 

You're right - but that applies from each April.  So it won't change to 1 Jan 1981 until April 2002.  But... and this is the more important point:  it looks as though you are quite right regarding not requiring an MoT and, for that I sincerely apologise and thank you.  Because, it seems there is a form V112 on which you can declare that the vehicle doesn't require an MoT when applying to register the vehicle as historic.  I had previously read the guidance notes but clearly badly as under category "r" (perhaps I didn't read that far) it includes: "(GB only) A vehicle other than a public service vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years."  So, that means that, if you take your V5 and a V112 to a post office which deals with VED, with a cover note or insurance certificate they will send it all off for you and you're good to go.  You may even use your vehicle prior to receipt of confirmation from the DVLA.  I shall try this next week and see how I get on!  Thank you again.

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, oats and barley said:

Its just a self declaration  and forget your cover note /certificate they do not need it it will come up automatically 

I ought to have replied more promptly to this.  I followed your advice, took my paperwork to the post office - they weren't interested in any supporting documents, (as you forecast) but simply sent off the V5 and within a couple of days DVLA had changed the status on line showing the vehicle as exempt from MOTs.  The Post Office, despite being small and with relatively new staff, weren't phased in the slightest - they seemed to be familiar with the process, which surprised me.  The replacement V5 was back within about three weeks.  I am very glad you challenged my preconception regarding the MOT as it enabled me to get on and use the vehicle without having to wait for one, which, in the current climate would have been a pain.  So, thanks for that!  Cheers!

10 68