Triumph 3HW 1941

Martyn

Hello,

My name is Martyn last year i was attending a local Steam and Transport Rally exhibiting a Triumph Thunderbird 1954 on my triumph owners club stand and a gentleman came up an asked if i knew of any body who was interested in a 1941 Army Triumph 3HW as he knew of one that was up for sale i took the details and the rest is history. i had previously earlier in the the year been over to Normandy for the 75 Anniversary so i was very excited to own a Military Motorcycle!  the motorcycle looks the part and i think it might have been used for a static exhibit and not ridden i asked the gentleman i purchased it from for any history but he had nothing the log book states Date of first 23/8/1941 date of first registration in the UK 1/12/2015 VIN/chassis TL30318 Engine number 3HW52550. I have a couple of things i would if possible find out some information where the bike has been from 1941 until 2015 tall order i know i to sort out the running of the bike as it starts fine but after approximately it cuts out and then runs for a matter of 30 seconds and cuts out again and is like that until you let it cool right down but it will sit ticking over starting from cold indefinitely mystery to me? anyway sorry for the ramble any information gratefully received stay safe kind regards Martyn          

TL 30318 is not listed in O&M but should be from 1941. Possibly more lost records? Maybe Steve M can shed some light. Engine 52550 is from contract S2956 in 1943/4. There should be a date stamp under your saddle on the top of the saddle tube. eg ...........TEC MM.YY (Triumph Engineering Co "Date")  Ron

Hi

Based on the lists published in British Forces Motorcycles 1939 to 1945 frame no TL30318 is from a triumph 3sw which was allocated to the RAF  under contract C11465 .the frame range was TL30266 to 30415 ...the engine range was 3SW 40266 to 40415 ..it was one of 150 produced between 12/8/41. And 18/9/41..

Many 3sw were 're engined post war with the higher performance 3hw engine .

Ron has detailed the engine is from 1943..

Would it be ok if we got photos of the bike from each side .with close ups of the front forks . Frame number on the front post ..Frame date under the seat and of the engine numbers ..this should allow the forum to identify parts and give you additional info.

This is the only surviving  frame i am aware of from contract 11465 so a rare ..

Jenkinov

Many thanks for the information so far regarding my Triumph 3HW  any more information would be gratefully i would like to keep this motorcycle for many years to come and anything i can find out would be great for the future of this motorcycle and its future custodians.

many thanks 

Martyn   

• 5 months later...

Just following up from my previous posts, I now have the Motorcycle running fine and looking forward to using it next year attending shows with my local Triumph owners club. would anyone be able help me regarding any possible history of the Motorcycle as it seems to be repatriated back into the county in 2015 from where I do not know, it would be nice to find something about the bikes history if possible.

many thanks,

Martyn       

Hi. Martyn

Thank you for the frame number photo .. This and the date on the Seat post confirm it's from contract c11465 for 150 triumph 3sw . The triumph factory in Coventry was adjacent to Coventry cathedral and through a series of raids was effectively destroyed in 1940 . Triumph set up a temporary factory at a site called Cape Warwick and effectively using surviving frames engines built the last 159 triumphs 3sws before relocating to Meriden where a new factory was established .

After being relocated they shifted production to the triumph 3hw ..the overhead version of the bike .

As such your frame is an exceptional survivor of the blitz and one of one a few hundred bikes ever produced at cape Warwick .

In terms of its service life i would suggest contacting the RAF museum at Hendon . If any service records do still exist they are likely to hold them or be able to identify where they are held ..

Please update us if you do get additional information..the contract records do indicate the contract was fulfilled between 12th August 1941 and 18th Sep 1941 with bikes for the RAF being delivered to Quedgeley . Carlisle and Stafford from the temporary factory at cape warwick

Chris AKA Jenkinov

P

• Like 1

Good Morning Chris,

Many thanks thanks for your Email, this which is gratefully received, I would  love to find out any information I can for this vehicle so I will contact Hendon to see if they can help. with the information you have provided should this bike be in RAF livery i.e. blue not the green that's its currently in? 

kind regards,

Martyn  

Martyn

I note on the front of your bike you have a blade number plate ..on a historic basis these were not used in the war and whilst they were fitted post war became unpopular as they caused severe damage if a bike hit a person .Since the early 70s they have not been required and increasingly are not used even on the post war bikes . I do know of people that drive to shows with them off and then fit them for display purposes .

Chris AKA jenkinov

Ron ..they are not illegal so it's personal choice but they did not earn the nickname of bacon slicers without reason ..I believe the campaign to get them removed was partly led by motorcyclists at the time .

I don't fit front plates to any of my bikes.. The plates i have adorn my garage walls 

Regards

Chris AKA 

Jenkinov

Ron ..they are not illegal so it's personal choice but they did not earn the nickname of bacon slicers without reason ..I believe the campaign to get them removed was partly led by motorcyclists at the time .

I don't fit front plates to any of my bikes.. The plates i have adorn my garage walls 

Regards

Chris AKA 

Jenkinov

Hi Martyn

You asked about the  paint colour on your bike. ..Ron s confirmed it was green . But as a RAF bike the decals would often have been different .They often had the letters RAF on the tank and there was an instruction in 1941 for  an 9 inch RAF rounded to be added to bikes.in service in the UK . I believe this was to assist Military police and others in quickly identifying RA F vehicles .

Regards

Jenkinov

It's not the illegality that I was alluding to Jenk. It's the bikes in my collection that were fitted with them originally during  the 1939/40 period. Back then they often used the number plate for the C number. 

I have a few original B&W RAF pictures. Some have roundels and some don't. The only picture I've seen of an RAF WD/CO there is no roundel, but I put one on mine anyway.  Ron 

DSCF2758.jpg

Ariel RAF.jpg

Norton 16H RAF 2.jpg

mil2.jpg

RAF DSC03387 (2).jpg

Many thanks for your response to my Email, so just to confirm that the my motorcycle started out as a 3 SW and then down the line somewhere ended up with a Engine from a 3 HW  is that correct or did they used some 3 SW  frames to build the 3 HW , or is it just a bike that has been just put together with bits of various bike?  

Many thanks for the images,

kind regards,

Martyn