Royal Enfield WD/Co Starting problems!!!

gary0003

If it runs well once going then you have to assume that valve and ignition timing are good and the engine is generally healthy. Poor starting then points towards ignition  - A weak spark.Are the gaps correct in both spark plug and magneto points. Are the points clean in the mag ? A spark at the plug when its laying on the cylinder head may not be any good under compression. A failing condensor,HT windings, dirty HT pickup or sticking points can all lead to a weak spark. Often failing HT windings show up more when the engine is hot.

Once you are used to the bike's preferences for its starting ritual it ought really fire up withing one or two kicks,hot or cold. My Matchless G3l never needs tickling,just air lever closed,a few slow rotations with the valve lifter pulled. A little bit of ignition advance and a long swinging kick and its away,hardly ever more than one kick.

Thanks for all your help. I think I may have solved it - I  checked everything today and and the plug was very sooty and the points had closed up a bit. I have re-set the points, cleaned and gapped the plug and lowered the needle a notch and it started first kick!  Haven't got time to go for a test ride today though.