GPW Transfer shifters pin removal

Rick W

In the last stages of removing the transfer box from my GPW. Now to drop the transfer box out I need to remove both the small shifters for the Hi/Lo and 4WD. In order to do that I need to get the pin out that holds the bar in place which the shifters attach to. What sort of pin is it, apart from being Bl***y awkward to get to. Is it a hex screw, slot,cross type? Any pointers gratefully received. 

OK thanks for that. I assume from that it knocks out , I presume it goes all the way through and knocks out from the back to the front of the jeep. In which case I assume you need to drop the transfer box down to knock it out?

Doesn’t the retaining  pin for the shaft have a square head to enable you to unscrew it?

The common bodge was, as discussed, to hack a hole in the side of the transmission tunnel to enable the shaft to be moved enough to remove the levers

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the screw which holds the pin in place does have a square head. I had to resort to drilling out the shifter pivot pin. I say shifter pivot pin, but it had been replaced in the past by a solid metal rod and there was no way it was going to drift out. 14 drill bits and 3 hours later.

Edited by Rick W

• 2 weeks later...

take off the grease fitting from the end of the pin, undo the square headed bolt from the casting some times it has lock wire through it from in side the jeep remove the plate over the gearbox you can tap the shift pin towards the passenger side of the jeep you will only be able to move it 1/2 way across take the first leaver out the  blade springs then slide the 2nd leaver across re fit the pin so not to damage it refitting is a reverse of above