Image Intensified L5A1 Night Sight Periscope

Hey guys, i have a Image Intensified L5A1 Passive Night vision periscope for my driver in my CVRT Spartan and it has been working fine for quite some time and now all of a sudden its as if its lost its power and its night vision capabilities, i can still see in brighter conditions out of it but it definitely is not fit for night seeing anymore. This hasnt been a progressive development either, it was fine one day and instantly jumped to this condition the next. Long story short, does anyone have experience with these or have anything along the lines of manuals or illustrations or maintenance instructions i can use to help me figure out whats going on with it. I've looked around and i cant find anything at all about these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated and im looking forward to getting it back to full functionality one way or the other.

• 1 year later...

I have collected british night vision scopes from rank pullin for several years and even repaired one from completely destroyed back to fully working with pretty much everything replaced, so got my little share of experience.

Sold everything to fund me my own Spartan, so am on the lookout for one of these sights too of course.

@TheAmericanPatriot:
It seems pretty much your intensifier tube died. Either because of slow sunlight exposure while still turned on or other unnoticed unwanted light exposure of the tube.
Thats atleast how most of the old gen1 cascade tubes died. You should be able to get it running again replacing the tube with a "new" one. They are still available here and there, because they became popular for diy home build night vision devices.

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, RRb Machining said:

Did you ever find any information on these, I have just acquired 4 of them complete along with some spare parts

I unfortunately have not besides just small illustrations explaing how to use them. nothing along the lines of Work Shop manuals or anything actually useful. The search continues

• 1 year later...
On 12/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, RRb Machining said:

Did you ever find any information on these, I have just acquired 4 of them complete along with some spare parts

Still no manual like info but i have now mastered complete dissasembly of the lenses that control the amount of light entering the sight down to the shutters themselves as mine had seized up after going unused in exterior conditions unfortunately. Difficult without the proper tools to avoid scratching it all up but definitely doable! Works like a charm again and has been re oiled and waterproofed and will be getting more attention from now on.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, Elphiel said:

I have collected british night vision scopes from rank pullin for several years and even repaired one from completely destroyed back to fully working with pretty much everything replaced, so got my little share of experience.

Sold everything to fund me my own Spartan, so am on the lookout for one of these sights too of course.

@TheAmericanPatriot:
It seems pretty much your intensifier tube died. Either because of slow sunlight exposure while still turned on or other unnoticed unwanted light exposure of the tube.
Thats atleast how most of the old gen1 cascade tubes died. You should be able to get it running again replacing the tube with a "new" one. They are still available here and there, because they became popular for diy home build night vision devices.

What about if the sight gets blurrier as you let more light in? I have another one that is crystal clear with minimum shutter exposure but when i let lots of light in it gets very blurry. Its capable of seeing at night pretty well it just gets pretty blurry when i open the shutter all the way! I'm gonna check how clean the lenses are and if they're bad i'll tear it apart and clean em

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 3:57 PM, TheAmericanPatriot said:

What about if the sight gets blurrier as you let more light in? I have another one that is crystal clear with minimum shutter exposure but when i let lots of light in it gets very blurry. Its capable of seeing at night pretty well it just gets pretty blurry when i open the shutter all the way! I'm gonna check how clean the lenses are and if they're bad i'll tear it apart and clean em

Did you test it in real night time and longer ranges then some 10 meter at home?
From my experience, if you use the daytime shutters to reduce light inlet for daytime usage (zeroing and so on) the focal point shifts dramatically and makes the image very blurry. Always test them in real life situation to what these scope were intended to do. Viewing around 100m plus in nighttime condition with some ambient light from moon or stars.
Also to much light will start to reflect inside the sight and overcasts the intensifier tube. Could also be the source for your described blur.
If you can make a picture or video and explain the conditions you tested them in, we can help you better for sure.