IWM on line archive

Pete Ashby

Question

Does anybody else find the the IWM online search function clunky and frustrating >:( I know the photo reference numbers I want to look for but for the life of me I can't find a way of inputting them directly into the search function...... or perhaps it's just me ??

Pete

6 answers to this question

Too right, it used to be so easy, but since its Disney-fication some years ago, is now almost impossible to find what you're looking for. 

Why did they change it ? Who knows. I remember too, they had a magnificent collection of models depicting WW1 subjects, guns, wagons, another set of  WW2 Humber vehicles made by apprentices, all to 1/10th scale. In fact as a schoolboy in the 50's - 60's, I was fascinated by a set of cut away models of a Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane. I believe they MAY be in storage at Duxford, does anyone have details ?  

Not all the official photos are online, and recent additions are simple scans of their reference prints rather than from the negatives.

If you know the number, just enter the digits rather than the prefix and go from there.  But if it's a low number you'll get hundreds of results!

Problem is knowing the number. I have searched for specific subjects, with poor results. If you know the number then fine, but searching for "anti aircraft artillery WW1", and variations of that theme in the search box, brought nothing but WW1 aircraft. The search engine used to be helpful, but seems not to work as it used to. I have in the past used their resources with excellent results, so am not a newbie. Just seems there has been a re-jigging.

26 minutes ago, george said:

but seems not to work as it used to. I have in the past used their resources with excellent results, so am not a newbie. Just seems there has been a re-jigging.

That's exactly what I have found like you I  have used it as a resource on and off for many years going back before the days of home computers when you could book a visit to the archive department and rummage around shelves of albums and cardboard boxes.  Then it started to go on line and with a bit of lateral thought things could be found using the search engine.

I haven't had cause to go on the site for some time until recently and now the search criteria  seem very broad brush

Glad it's not just me

Pete

I complained to the Iwm that it was impossible to find a photo by the iwms own reference! So if for example I wanted a photo that I knew existed in say batch NA15901 to 15999, I could not search through 100 photos to find it. I got a rather laim response 

9 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

I complained to the Iwm that it was impossible to find a photo by the iwms own reference! So if for example I wanted a photo that I knew existed in say batch NA15901 to 15999, I could not search through 100 photos to find it. I got a rather laim response 

I suspect the problem is that instead of the IWM being a place for serious academic research staffed by people who have an understanding for the subject the whole enterprise has been turned into a money making  theme park with the major objective of getting foot fall through the door and royalties off the repetitively used media sign of the times I'm afrid everything has to be self supporting and show a profit even national history.:(

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
  • Like 1