Triumph crankshaft

Tiger80

Hi could you please help me with a query about triumph crankshafts. I know that my bike is a civilian bike a Triumph T80 but it is very similar to the bikes you guys have. My query is does anybody know if cranks from other bikes of this period are interchangeable as I am struggling to find crankshaft say for my Tiger with the correct part numbers. When I have looked at the technical information in the book by A.St.J . Masters most of the bikes have the same measurements e.g.Stroke.

To cut a long story short will a crank from say a Triumph 3HW fit my Tiger

Thanks Mark

Edited by Tiger80

Hi not sure if you remember a while back I put a post on with a photo of some quite bad wear to the flywheel caused by the conrod  wearing the cast iron away. This means there is slot of sideways movement of the conrod. I think you gave me some advice at the time about maybe getting them welded up. I've since spoke to a coded welded who advised this might cause me more problems. I think you also gave me another good option of maybe thrust washers but before going down that route I was wondering if it might be easyer  to get a crank from another model. The parts lists I have all models have different numbers for the flywheel s but as far as I can see the technical information for the different models  Stroke, main bearing diameter ect are identical. So am wondering if there is any main difference apart from part numbers.

I just checked my 39 parts list and you are right, they have different part numbers for the 350 flywheels 3S & 3SE are the same but they all share the same main shafts. The WD 3SW and 3HW use the same flywheels as the 3S and 3SE. I can only think that there might be different weights to the flywheels to do with performance. 

Brian Tillin (Swanage) is the Triumph singles guy. I'd speak to him about the problem. PM me if you want his contact details.

Ron 

On 5/14/2020 at 5:40 AM, Ron said:

I just checked my 39 parts list and you are right, they have different part numbers for the 350 flywheels 3S & 3SE are the same but they all share the same main shafts. The WD 3SW and 3HW use the same flywheels as the 3S and 3SE. I can only think that there might be different weights to the flywheels to do with performance. 

Brian Tillin (Swanage) is the Triumph singles guy. I'd speak to him about the problem. PM me if you want his contact details.

Ron 

Hi Ron I spoke to Brian Gilpin today. He says he is going to have a look if he has any spare but if all else fails a crank or flywheel s from a 3he will fit so ask you guys if you have one you might sell if he can't find any.Thanks Mark

Just now, Tiger80 said:

Hi Ron I spoke to Brian Gilpin today. He says he is going to have a look if he has any spare but if all else fails a crank or flywheel s from a 3he will fit so ask you guys if you have one you might sell if he can't find any.Thanks Mark

Sorry my predictive text is going mad. I mean Brian Tillin and 3hw crank

Hi I spoke to Brian tillin  and asked about compatibility of cranks to my Tiger 80. He is trying to find some spare flywheel s but said 3hw one's will fit so am asking if anyone has a 3hw crank or flywheels  for sale if he can't find tiger ones.