What transporter is this?

No Signals

JOHN  l think this will rumble on  the primer movers  mentioned as candidates  all have one thing in common they are all of a similar length give or take a few inches l am lucky that l have a ministry of supply copy  SCHUDULE OF ALLOCATION OF REGISTRATION NUMBERS T0 VEHICLES POST 1948 as well as the index file list of key cards covering 1945 to 1950 which covers rebuild vehicles

REGARDS WALLY

• Like 1

Bit more fuel on the fire I am willing to accept this is a Diamond T and the illusion at the front end is caused by shadow camera angle etc. Indeed i think it is the only answer. So you guys out there have identified the tank i believe. So could this have been a private civilian company picking up a tank to take it to the North east were many where cut up. i know many of the civilian used cobbled up trailers made from ex mod parts

Unfortunatly any answers will be just pure speculation unless someone comes up with a more detailed image. If as seems likely the trailer is a prototype or early production 50 ton it would not have been released for civilion use. I am going to hang my hat on a still service transporter, coming from the Barlow storage area. 

Edited by john1950
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

evening every one i have been reading the book about Cranes of Dereham "we built trailers" and there is a very small paragraph about them being asked by the mod to design a trailer with 50 tons capacity in the late 40's. Cranes produced drawings and built a prototype which reading the description is the same as a Dyson 50 ton. ounce the prototype was built and tested the mod gave the drawings to Dyson who then got the contract to build the trailers. 

so is the photo of the prototype built by Cranes? or one of the very first Dyson built trailers?  

As the Dyson was built to the same specification as the Crane it would be  hard to tell from the present photograph  a shot of the trailer would have been great as l have the list of the first fifty  registration numbers allocated  also the plans and drawings for the Dyson

a clearer close up pic of the trailer would certainly help the identity as Cranes used a lot of the same parts as used on their 40 ton trailer. the large castings that carry the axle springs are very distinctive to Crane trailers. i am basing my assumption that this might be the Cranes trailer on the date the photo was taken as it's mean't to be prior to the Dyson built 50 tonners. 

out of interest Wally how detailed are the plans and drawings of the Dyson that you have? 

regards sam 

Some trailers have a wheel painted white behind the offside front tyres, there are several photos on the web clearly showing its position. This is an ongoing friendly/fun discussion/debate.

Edited by john1950

SAM l have a number of drawings on the 50 ton some are small but give only details  the larger ones are four foot by 3 foot and are design drawings that came  from DYSON to  FVRDE  and where sent in april in to storage as they are to  large for me to do any thing with  but may come back in the future

JOHN the focus has generally been on the DYSON 50 TON and l have to admit that l have not done much on the crane- dyson and rodgers 40 TON but l will scale the drawings l still have at home  to see if there is a feature that  appears on one and not another

Hi Wally It is just the image of the item bebind the first axle is so blured and indistinct it could be a wheel and tyre or something else. I await your further comments. Or it could just be my eysight.

Edited by john1950

JOHN l found my  ministry of supply data book it lists the difference's between the  rodgers  and the two marks of the crane-dyson 4OTON trailers.  Some are not visible  in the photograph but the british made trailers have the brake wheel on the nearside the rodgers on the offside also the deck on the three 40 ton  trailers is level but on the dyson it has a slope. this beats looking at colour charts  and decor with the wife

Edited by wally dugan

Wally, I had the brake wheel and the makers of trailer the wrong way around. I think the 50 ton needs a slopping bed so that the second axle has clearance/room to move vertically, as well as ease of loading. A bit more usefull information about trailers, from the records. What would you say the latest most up to date guess is.

JOHN looking at the design of the three  RODGERS and CRANE-DYSON 40 ton and the DYSON 50  ton and a unhelpful  photograph  l think it looks more like DT and DYSON 50 TON the trailer in the photograph  looks to have a slope but that could be down to the angle it was taken at and the brake wheel is tucked under the body and close to the tyre  would it cast a shadow if it was a RODGERS its still  a puzzle without a better picture from a different  angle 🙄

JOHN l have looked and enlarged the picture between the front and back axles there appears to be a oblong shape the stowage box? or just a trick of the light got to admit  it does more look like the 50 TON so until some one comes up with a new prospective on the photograph that's were my money is

WALLY

Edited by wally dugan