L4 BREN

starlite

Hi all, not holding much chance of any major shows this year was on the sniff for an L4 Bren, anyone have one for sale or know who might let one go ideally a correct type not a made up one to finish off my display please pm me. Thanks 

You got it Andy, The ones I have seen recently are made up from new parts and re-painted, but please correct me if I’m wrong. I remember some years ago a batch came in they were all original fit and finish, remember seeing them at W&P show Many years ago, don’t get me wrong the ones today look good, they just look to good.

I believe a lot of Indian 7.62 guns were passed off as British ones some years ago but without looking at the part numbers its impossible to say if this is abitza or not, but clearly has a 7.62 Receiver and Barrel.  

Edited by REME 245

On 5/12/2020 at 11:58 PM, 43rdrecce said:

I believe these are made up from parts bought in bulk. However, it seems that few genuine L4s have ever been released. Maybe a 'bitsa' is the only option.

Genuine L4A3s were RN weren't they?

Yes they were intended for the Royal marines. The A3 has a hold open device in the ejector block. They are converted from MK II Bren's.

L4A4 SHOULD all be converted from Mk III Guns.

• Up 1

These aren’t made from spare parts, they are Interarms FTRd guns under MOD contract. The guns that were in factory original condition were sold by WWA about 5 years ago (original over seas sale) and I missed out (been looking for one since). 

The reference to being made from parts probably originated from the cancellation of the Interarms FTR programme (when the MOD decided to issue the GPMG to reserve units instead) and IA were told they could keep the guns. So they finished what they had and offered those for sale and sold the refinished parts to another well known dealer darn sarf who assembled what was left.

The A3 is just an A4 built on a Mk2 body, not as common as the L4 but they were sold to many foreign countries.

MG37GA is a drawing/part number of a L4A3.

The Indian 7.62 guns are rarer than the British, I managed to find 2, a conversion in line with the L4A4 and the other a new build from a 7.62 body, this is much better than even a British L4A4.

All Original L4s should have a barred out serial number and a new UExx Axxx serial number next to it, with the exception of about 500?? Guns made up on new, unused Mk3 .303 bodies.

Chris,

did any of the Interarms guns enter British service before the cancellation of the FTR programme then? I assume any that did went to the RN/RM, as I understand they were the only users of the L4A3.

Are ex British guns few and far between? 

Paul

9 minutes ago, 43rdrecce said:

I believe almost all of them were scrapped sadly.

This also explains why ex-British military Sterling SMGs are almost non-existent on the UK market. The ones you see for sale are commercial guns sold abroad in the past which have different markings and a different paint finish.

45 minutes ago, 43rdrecce said:

Chris,

did any of the Interarms guns enter British service before the cancellation of the FTR programme then? I assume any that did went to the RN/RM, as I understand they were the only users of the L4A3.

Paul

No, the contract was terminated in favour of the GPMG but some went abroad and others deactivated.

26 minutes ago, Enfield1940 said:

This also explains why ex-British military Sterling SMGs are almost non-existent on the UK market. The ones you see for sale are commercial guns sold abroad in the past which have different markings and a different paint finish.

Seems that is the case. With the Sterling, as you say most have foreign contract serial numbers.

Not sure about the paint though. The crackle paint was originally on early British Sterlings too. It was removed and replaced with Suncorite in the course of their service life on most if not all weapons.

32 minutes ago, Enfield1940 said:

Unfortunately the UN agreement to which the UK is a member and signatory Decrees that military weapons are destroyed unless sold to a foreign government. So all the excess L4s, L2s, L1s and many others have been destroyed at Donnington. I’m sure there’s likely still many in war reserve as we’ve not got enough L85s (350,000??).

The shameful thing is if you look at the current prices of EU deacs, the government could probably earn a few hundred pounds per item. And that much more than scrap.

But Luckily some examples have passed into civilian ownership legally. Movie props, contractor repairs/replacements etc. but not many. 

32 minutes ago, 43rdrecce said:

Not sure about the paint though. The crackle paint was originally on early British Sterlings too. It was removed and replaced with Suncorite in the course of their service life on most if not all weapons.

My understanding is that the British military guns always had the smooth Suncorite over phosphate finish. However, some commercial spare parts with the crackle finish (e.g. end caps) were later on obtained by the MoD from Sterling and ended up on military guns.

30 minutes ago, 43rdrecce said:

Seems that is the case. With the Sterling, as you say most have foreign contract serial numbers.

British contract L2A3s only ever had a Sunc finish and have different markings to the commercial offerings. The serial numbers are also US or UF prefixed rather than the commercial KR or S prefix. Some MOD spares were salvaged from broken up commercial guns (because the commercial gun was not to UK spec) but I believe they were refinished to MOD spec.

2 minutes ago, Enfield1940 said:

My understanding is that the British military guns always had the smooth Suncorite over phosphate finish. However, some commercial spare parts with the crackle finish (e.g. end caps) were later on obtained by the MoD from Sterling and ended up on military guns.

I did have some Enfield made end caps that were salvaged from commercial Sterling’s and these sold on eBay for a very good price. 

Unless you know better I would be very surprised if the MOD store much of anything these days including weapons.

The tatical docterine is that any major conflict would not last long plus it costs money to store anything in bulk.

Edited by REME 245

1 hour ago, Chris Hall said:

British contract L2A3s only ever had a Sunc finish and have different markings to the commercial offerings. The serial numbers are also US or UF prefixed rather than the commercial KR or S prefix. Some MOD spares were salvaged from broken up commercial guns (because the commercial gun was not to UK spec) but I believe they were refinished to MOD spec.

Here is an interesting press photo from a sequence taken in 1972. Crackle finish paint on this L2A3.

EEBGBA.jpg

Screenshot_20200522-095116~2.png