FV721 registration.

Hi Paul 

I would imagine it’s similar to when I registered my gpw, go on the dvla website and ordered a V55/5 form , get it insured and get it verified by MVT , not necessarily in that order.

Edited by 67burwood

Hi Paul,

I have done a few vehicles now, when i asked for the V55/5 they sent instructions as to what I needed to fill in. Of course the first time I got this wrong, but a very nice lady from DVLA walked me through the form. even corrected my mistakes. :) 

The biggest help was the Tank Muesum libary  at Bovingdon as the paperwork I had was incomplete, something I didn't know till I engaged with MVT and DVLA.

Only took 4 months, but I got my V5

Moral support from the people of this forum did keep me sane so if I can be of help

Hi Paul,

You need to get a letter stating date in service from the Tank Museum. It’s probably easier to use the military registration number for the VIN since there isn’t one or a hull number stamped anywhere. Then it’s the usual registration process.

Chris

• 2 months later...

things are different to when I last registered a vehicle, but aside from the still valid issues flagged by Chris above, if you are presented with the option as to how to describe the vehicle, refer to it as a "motor tractor", as that (and only that) is the vehicle classification category which the DVSA can "cope" with when it comes to armoured (ex) MV and therefore what category of MOT it falls into.

Yes I know we now have historic class for MOT exemption, but there is nothing lost by also ensuring it is "categorised" into something that a DVSA civil servant can understand.

I dont know when you registered yours but on DVLA advice in 2018 I registered my spartan as a Crawler, I also advise another person in June last year and they had there 2 CVRT's registered as Crawlers to. I would say if in doubt call DVLA but not sure how many staff are actually manning the phones.

And of Course things change all the time with DVLA requirements so I may be talking out of my hat

Lance

57 minutes ago, SirLanceUK said:

I dont know when you registered yours but on DVLA advice in 2018 I registered my spartan as a Crawler, I also advise another person in June last year and they had there 2 CVRT's registered as Crawlers to. I would say if in doubt call DVLA but not sure how many staff are actually manning the phones.

And of Course things change all the time with DVLA requirements so I may be talking out of my hat

Lance

Hi Lance,

The issue with the Fox is that it has 4 wheels but is not a goods vehicle, which is what confuses the DVLA. The Department for Transport have advised people on several occasions to classify it as a Motor Tractor which is what we did with ours, as John suggests. 

Registering a CVRT as a crawler is not an issue as it’s obviously got tracks so the DVLA staff can easily compute that!

Chris

D4A04E9B-123B-4E40-89B9-C4B1D26D0E9D.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirLanceUK said:

Lance

as Chris mentions, it is best to use valid descriptions in case you ever end up in court (road traffic accident) and some wise barrister (or a sensible man in the street) goes through your situation with a fine tooth comb and looks up definitions ...

wheeled vehicle is not a crawler

tracked vehicle is a crawler 

crawler

[ kraw-ler ]SHOW IPA

noun

a person or thing that crawls.
Digital Technology. web crawler.
Also called crawler tractor. any of various large, heavy vehicles or machines that are propelled on endless belts or tracks, especially as used in construction.

Edited by john fox

I was more meaning that a call to DVLA to find out what they would call it might be the short cut, cause the Spartan is also a private heavy goods vehicle. I did submit the form with a few errors and the lady who dealt with it was kind enough to send it back with all the boxes correctly filled in telling me what documentation I had omitted.

Paul, could I suggest that you PM Tankdiver on this forum. I verified his CVRW Polecat last year and he managed to get that road registered. I'm sure that Lawrence (Tankdiver) would be the best person to contact as he has been through the registration process with a CVRW.

Edited by johnwardle
Typo