Stalwart Manuals and hand books

Mark Ellis

2 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

So UK based vehicles were expected to be in a state of disrepair. You can see why RAOC had hangers full of such a stockpile of roadworthy vehicles in Holland 

Notwithstanding the sort of issues Richard mentions, I'm not sure why 100% availability would ever be expected or why lower availability would be equated with a general state of disrepair, particularly as the document Clive posted says that servicing is included in the time a vehicle isn't available. My car isn't available when it's being serviced, but that doesn't mean it's in bad condition.

1 hour ago, Sean N said:

Notwithstanding the sort of issues Richard mentions, I'm not sure why 100% availability would ever be expected or why lower availability would be equated with a general state of disrepair, particularly as the document Clive posted says that servicing is included in the time a vehicle isn't available. My car isn't available when it's being serviced, but that doesn't mean it's in bad condition.

Sean, back in the 80s vehicles were service every 3 months, wether they'd done any milage or sat on the MT park. It only takes hours to service a vehicle, not 8 hours or a day. Very rarely did we have wheeled vehicles VOR'd, and if we did they were usually back rather quickly

2 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

At that time all UK based vehicles were in constant use for training, major exercises and so on. I recall an instance in the late 70's of a Stalwart Mk2 belonging to a Royal Engineers unit, awaiting stores (spare parts) to repair it and it stood for so long that the unit sent a birthday card to the REME workshops after 12 months. When stores were ordered you would sometimes get a return note with a 'dues in' date which might be over a year away, this is where they were awaiting new parts to be made and delivered, then a week later the part would arrive with a packing date of some years earlier! This did not help getting vehicles back into service and very frustrating.

I hadn't realised that UK RE units had Stollies. We had one VOR because of the engine compartment fire wire. Replacement fire wire was Red Star delivered, and I fitted it in our LAD unit's workshop the next morning. It's as much about looking after your vehicles as it is about parts and labour 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:51 PM, fv1609 said:

That is unusual but I think it is explained by the fact that although Associated Publications should normally appear in Data Summary, EMER WV V 640/2 seems not to exist. So, I can see that it had to be put in some other Mk 2 EMER.

Clive, is there an official index of what each section of the EMERs Vehicle is supposed to include? As in the difference between  Vxx2 and Vxx4, and the difference between Vxx4/1 and Vxx4/2

Many thanks

2 hours ago, fv1609 said:

This is the index as at Jan 1983. I think these were published annually to incorporate all the Accession Lists issued during the previous year.

EMER WV A 001 V 640 series.pdf 1.98 MB · 2 downloads

Clive that's brilliant, and helps me on my search. But what I meant was - is there a description of what 0 to 9 are for every Vxx set

Not other than what is in A 001, although **7 & **9 will often have an index of the section they preface.

The structure of EMERs is in following form but may not include all sections.

There is provision for 1000 Regulations in each EMER Section. These are divided into two blocks:
1. General Regulations for the Section contained in 000-099.
2. Specific Regulations for the Section contained in 100-999.

The final digit defines the category of the information:
0 Data Summary.
1 Operator’s Instructions.
2 Technical Description sometimes divided further into:
Part 1 – Technical Description.
Part 2 – Fault-finding & Repair Data.
3 Unit Repairs.
4 Field & Base Repairs sometimes divided further into:
Part 1 – Field Repairs.
Part 2 – Base Repairs.
5 Preparation for special Function e.g. waterproofing, air transportation etc.
6 Preferred Repair Schedules.
7 Modification Instruction.
8 Inspection Standard.
9 Miscellaneous Instruction.

The Regulations 0-9 represent the Technical Handbook for the equipment although there may not be
information published in all the categories. Sometimes relatively small amounts of information, particularly
relating to repairs normally covered in category 3 and 4, may be combined into category 2 which has provision for this occurrence.

On the other hand where a handbook would be very large or the equipment very complex the handbook would be constructed around a system of chapters. There were four levels of repair, Unit, Field, Intermediate, and Base. These levels are only approximate and facilities would vary according to the role of the parent regiment.

Early EMERs refer to levels of repair from 1st to 4th echelon. The workshops with higher levels of repair would receive all the EMERs, but the lower levels only the details for repairs that were their responsibility.

25 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Not other than what is in A 001, although **7 & **9 will often have an index of the section they preface.

The structure of EMERs is in following form but may not include all sections.

Brilliant, thank you very much, Clive

From your previous post and what I've got here, I think this is a full list. I've currently got everything in green. 

295798755_10228189231457273_3147702612414271525_n.jpg.9c84daa3e73de6d7b9b87e0bfc5aa1fa.jpg

Mike glad it is of use. Strictly speaking the Technical Handbook is the complete EMER sequence for that equipment, V 642 is just the Technical Description (albeit for Mk 1) not the Handbook.

You will see that from A 001 there are no references to V 647/2 or V 649/2. So it looks as if all mods & instructions for Mk1, Mk2 or both are all covered in V 647 & V 649.

This seems to be the case as I have lists for V 647 & V 649 that describe the broad heading but also indicate whether it applied to Mk1, Mk2 or both and also Mk2 and derivatives. I see you have V 647 marked as orange does that mean you have it? Does it indicate the applicable Mk?

What I have are not the EMER indexes but lists of mods & instructions compiled by BAOR. These lists define if the mods & instructions are Unit, Field or Base tasks. It also indicates the time allocated for each task.

2 hours ago, fv1609 said:

I see you have V 647 marked as orange does that mean you have it? Does it indicate the applicable Mk?

I have a V647 (attached) that goes up to 82, and then jumps to 103. As you can see, the index lists to 103 but instruction 83 to 102 are missing.  The Orange means I need a better example.

I also need a better example of V644 Part 1. It's been scanned as  two A4 on an A3 scanner - with lots of edging. I could spend a day duplicating pages and changing the content display area - but would rather scan another book

V647-Stalwart-HMLC-Modifications-Instructions-1-to-82 - declassified.pdf

OK Mark I understand, I'm afraid I don't have the missing bits only the cataloguing lists.

This below ties in the NSNs & Asset Codes with available documentation including the 4 types of CES as at March 1991 from REME BAOR lists of B & E Vehicles.

2022-07-27_112647.thumb.jpg.7af474919bc617da45a4f599f99ba3c8.jpg

9 hours ago, fv1609 said:

OK Mark I understand, I'm afraid I don't have the missing bits only the cataloguing lists.

This below ties in the NSNs & Asset Codes with available documentation including the 4 types of CES as at March 1991 from REME BAOR lists of B & E Vehicles.

Ah, two more files to find.
The files that are cleared are now on a free website https://sites.google.com/view/alvis-stalwart-hmlc-files/ 

Mark yes there should in theory at least be a Complex CES that comprises the equipment (in this case a vehicle) with its own Simple CES that when fitted with additional equipment (and with its own Simple CES) then forms the Complex CES for the whole system.

CES Simple & Complex are listed in Army Code No.12123 Part V. I have three of these the oldest being 1984 where it is simple to find the Simple CES as it is listed under the equipment/vehicle title. Indeed  it lists the four Simple CES that you know about.

Complex CES is more complex because it lists the additional equipment by name which is fair enough but sometimes it lists "Installation kit for..."

So it will take some searching as there are 203 pages. 

It is quite unusual to find a Complex CES but they are something of a disappointment. Often it will only list three items:

The designation of main equipment/vehicle & its Simple CES

The designation of the ancillary equipment & its Simple CES

The Army Code No. of the Complex CES (ie the document you have in your hand!!)

But at least can get to find out the Army Code No of the Simple CES for the additional equipment.

Found this one for you, it is a Simple CES.

AC No.44800 INSTALLATION KIT, Electronic equipment, radio station, UK/VRC 353 in Truck, Cargo, HMLC, Mk 2 (FFR)

Z1/5820-99-965-5670 this is the NSN of the kit not the UK/VRC 353

1 hour ago, fv1609 said:

Found this one for you, it is a Simple CES.

AC No.44800 INSTALLATION KIT, Electronic equipment, radio station, UK/VRC 353 in Truck, Cargo, HMLC, Mk 2 (FFR)

Z1/5820-99-965-5670 this is the NSN of the kit not the UK/VRC 353

Thanks
Might be young enough that MOD still have that

Mark I'm afraid I know very little about Air Publications. But I assume there would be regular updates in some catalogue of APs which in itself would be an AP.  It is hard enough finding these catalogues for Army publications and they only show a snapshot of time when particular equipments were in service. The structure of APs changed dramatically in about 1970.

Given the limited time & quantity of Stalwarts in RAF service, I think any APs would be few instead with heavy reliance on the range of Army publications.

As you may know the RAF Stores Vocabulary AP 1086 lists MT vehicle specific spares in Section 61 with 61AS for Alvis vehicles. These days this would mean 61AS would be the DMC preceding an NSN.

Cataloguing of Complete Vehicles is 16A (the A here has nothing to to with Alvis & applies to all complete vehicles) Vehicles were given 2-page descriptions in AP 278E Book 1.

I have the Argosy tie-down instructions & diagrams for Stalwart in AP 101B-2401-11B (Formerly AP 4221D Air Portability Supplement) Army Code No. 9311, 1970. 

I also have somewhere a larger more general air transport tie-down book that covers from large vehicles to concrete mixers.  

1 hour ago, fv1609 said:

I have the Argosy tie-down instructions & diagrams for Stalwart in AP 101B-2401-11B (Formerly AP 4221D Air Portability Supplement) Army Code No. 9311, 1970. 

Would you be willing to share that Stalwart section, with the cover?

I've also been searching for old film footage of Stalwarts. Imperial War Museum have all these films with great titles that feature or show stalwarts, but only two have been digitised, and only two more are to be digitised.
Apparently; 

many of the films you have listed would first require 2K scans and the costs start at £200 for up to 30 minutes run time.

BFH 2 - A FORCE WITH A DIFFERENCE [Main Title]

BFM 481 - EXERCISE DRAKE'S DRUM, DEVON, JULY 1971 [Allocated Title]

BFM 497 - TRIALS OF ALVIS STALWART MARK 2, JULY 1968 [Allocated Title]

BFM 511 - FV431 AMPHIBIOUS TRIALS, INSTOW, SEPTEMBER 1964 [Allocated Title]

BFM 523 - ALVIS STALWART RIVER AND SEA TRIALS, DEVON, DECEMBER 1963 [Allocated Title]

BFM 524 - TRIALS OF ALVIS STALWART MARK II, DEVON, JULY 1968 [Allocated Title]

BFM 525 - ALVIS STALWART AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE TRIALS, AUGUST 1961 [Allocated Title]

BFM 544 - TRIALS OF ROCKET-FIRED VINNECOMBE ANCHORS, CROW POINT, AUGUST 1968 [Allocated Title]

BFM 558 - HMS FEARLESS: BAILEY BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION, DEVONPORT DOCKYARD, JANUARY 1966 [Allocated Title]

BFM 574 - AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE TRIALS: LARC-V, ALVIS STALWART AND DUKW, MARCH 1964 [Allocated Title]

COI 1024 - ARMY TV COMMERCIAL [Allocated Title]

COI 1101 - THE RIGHT MAN [Main Title]

COI 371 - BRITISH CALENDAR NO 20 [Main Title]

Online COI 904-2-4 - THE RIGHT MAN : part two [Main Title] - online

COI 913 - POINT OF VIEW [Allocated Title]

DED 265 - HELICOPTER SPRAY ON STALWART VEHICLE: DECONTAMINATION AFTER SPRAY RUN [Allocated Title]

DEG 103 - EXERCISE LEANDER- GERMANY- AIDS TO AMPHIBIANS [Allocated Title]

DEG 110-2 - 17TH/21ST LANCERS ON EXERCISE IN GERMANY [Allocated Title]

DEG 31 - STALWART CROSS COUNTRY AMPHIBIOUS LOAD CARRIER [Main Title]

DEG 40 - NIZAM CLIMATIC TRIALS IN QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA 1966-67 [Main Title]

DEG 45 - THE FUTURE LOGISTIC FLEET [Main Title]

Online DEG 55 - THE WATER OBSTACLE [Main Title] - online

DEG 89-2 - RIVER CROSSING 1963- part 2 [Main Title]

DEG 90 - EXERCISE FRANGI PANI [Allocated Title]

DEG 91 - FRANGI PANI [Allocated Title]

DRA 1223 - THE 175MM SP GUN (M.107) INTRODUCTION [Main Title]

DRA 1224 - THE 155MM SP HOWITZER (M.109) INTRODUCTION [Main Title]

DRA 1500 -  THE BRITISH BAR MINE SYSTEM [Main Title]

MGH 6461 - STALWART II [Main Title]

MIL 300 - RANGER MINES [Allocated Title]

MIL 432 - UNDERWATER RECOVERY TECHNIQUES [Main Title]

WOY 1590 - HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II VISITS THE ROYAL ENGINEERS [Allocated Title]

Not very good as I had to use my camera then reduce in size to upload as I have no broadband just using a watery phone link from the roof to communicate.

What would really interest you I think is JSP 71 Vol 1 covering road, rail, sea & air Stalwart transport. But it is over 30 pages & too much time & effort & not enough bandwidth. Could scan the odd key pages but not all of it I'm afraid.

IMG20220809181357.thumb.jpg.5dafa24e36fdc13ab5e4128d170a7b3a.jpgIMG20220809180936a.thumb.jpg.97e4c871b8a35e411586f68b3bb087f9.jpg

4 hours ago, andym said:

I looked at getting some IWM Abbot films digitised, but not only are they expensive, they also come with very restrictive distribution permissions.

Andy

I'm happy for them just to be in IWM player, although on Youtube is better. Youtube allows you to share a link that starts at a specific point, rather than having to watch the whole film just to see 20 seconds

3 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Not very good as I had to use my camera then reduce in size to upload as I have no broadband just using a watery phone link from the roof to communicate.

What would really interest you I think is JSP 71 Vol 1 covering road, rail, sea & air Stalwart transport. But it is over 30 pages & too much time & effort & not enough bandwidth. Could scan the odd key pages but not all of it I'm afraid.

IMG20220809181357.thumb.jpg.5dafa24e36fdc13ab5e4128d170a7b3a.jpgIMG20220809180936a.thumb.jpg.97e4c871b8a35e411586f68b3bb087f9.jpg

Really appreciate that, Clive.

I've sent you a message