24 / 16kw Newton Derby Generator 1980

Hi There, recently acquired this large diesel generator. Managed to get it to start BUT only if I operate the injector pump myself manually. There is something stopping g the engine governing and idaling on it's own. The actuator arm doesn't move by its self al though isn't seized as I can moove it manually. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or have any documents for this beast? 

Thanks Harry 20200412_100810.thumb.jpg.0f8aa772c1e8d2f4477159b3f7107d3a.jpg

20200412_100815.jpg

20200412_100821.jpg

Check the flywheel sensor is clean , these pick up metal particles from the ring gear over time, when refitting tuck on to the ring gear lightly the back off 1.5 turns ,connect a meter across the the sensor on A.C. then spin the engine over .you should get 5v or more pulses. This is fed to the governor as a reference for speed control .if you find the model of governor I may have some paper work . Hope this helps.

51 minutes ago, mogmaner said:

Check the flywheel sensor is clean , these pick up metal particles from the ring gear over time, when refitting tuck on to the ring gear lightly the back off 1.5 turns ,connect a meter across the the sensor on A.C. then spin the engine over .you should get 5v or more pulses. This is fed to the governor as a reference for speed control .if you find the model of governor I may have some paper work . Hope this helps.

This is a big help thankyou, I will try this tomorrow. Would this stop the engine from starting? I have attached photos below. Many thanks 

20200412_100821.jpg

20200412_124300.jpg

20200412_173036.jpg

Later units go into lock out if there is no signal from the flywheel ,main things to check is battery volts to the unit then the sensor .if these are ok you may have a board or actuator fault, bad connections and flywheel signal are the most common cause of starting problems .

12 hours ago, mogmaner said:

Later units go into lock out if there is no signal from the flywheel ,main things to check is battery volts to the unit then the sensor .if these are ok you may have a board or actuator fault, bad connections and flywheel signal are the most common cause of starting problems .

Hi Again! Done as you instructed, im not getting any current out of the sensor, tried ajusting still no luck! I guess now is the time to try and source a new sensor and go from there. Fingers crossed it works. Thanks for your help so far! 

It should be easy enough to test once you know how it works (probably reluctance).  Try googling the part number on it or find the NATO stock number from a parts list.  It is conceivable that I might have a microfische.  Mogmaner appears to be on the ball with this one! 

John

30 minutes ago, attleej said:

It should be easy enough to test once you know how it works (probably reluctance).  Try googling the part number on it or find the NATO stock number from a parts list.  It is conceivable that I might have a microfische.  Mogmaner appears to be on the ball with this one! 

John

Hi John, I've had it tested now by someone with a bit more experience than me! He's prety sure it's not working! Have tried Googleing the part number but no luckk. 

But have found some generic sensors for generators. the same size and with the same thread. Hopefully one of these may fit? 

Thanks Harry 

Back in work shop tomorrow will look in my junk box. They work  on magnetic induction ,as the ring gear teeth pass the sender they induce a AC voltage which is fed to the controller, as the speed goes up or down its conspired to the set reference for up or down adjustment to the speed.send me PM so I can let you know what I find.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:33 PM, mogmaner said:

Back in work shop tomorrow will look in my junk box. They work  on magnetic induction ,as the ring gear teeth pass the sender they induce a AC voltage which is fed to the controller, as the speed goes up or down its conspired to the set reference for up or down adjustment to the speed.send me PM so I can let you know what I find.

Still havnt managed to fix this! Tried a new sensor still no luck! Any one with any information who can help would be brilliant. I'm prepared to pay someone who is capable of fixing it for met to come take a look 

• 3 years later...

Hi, just agreed to buy one of these genny's with the opposite problem to OP.

The engine starts and runs well but there's no output. 

I'm close enough to Leeds to pick their brains and local genny sparky is onside to learn too. 

Thanks all, Neil 

newton derby generator.jpg

Edited by Nearly

• 2 months later...

Not had chance to pick it up yet. The owner called the company in Leeds who were very chatty about them. 'Yes, that's one of ours etc, but unfortunately we can't tell you anything about it as the design is covered by the official secrets act'

This may be an exaggeration but they weren't able to help. 

Surely it's no secret that if you rotate a wire inside a magnetic field the electrons run around. 

I hate people who lie and claim that legislation prevents them from helping.  These machines appear to be made 40 years ago!  If our opponents wanted to, they could buy one S/H and reverse engineer it.  There may be some secrets about reducing the electromagnetic signature or why it has to be so complex but they are not relevant to what we need to know.

I wonder if the actual alternator is rather simpler than we might think.  Normally, it is a rotating field coil and a stationary armature that supplies the output. The military version will have all sorts of facilities such as being able to parallel machines and, no doubt, tight frequency control with complex systems to achieve this.   Could we / you not bin the complex military system and take a modern commercial voltage regulator and fit that instead?

John

I had a few more FAESP than I thought & one does list Associated Publications which will give you a shopping list although some of those are in fairly general terms.

These are the pages in the fiche that contain info:

28 pages Purpose & Planning, Operating Instructions

56 pages Failure Diagnosis & Repairs

12 pages General Instructions

There are 12 pages of Maintenance Schedule but this is for the Hunting CL version.

I can photo the odd page but it is too time consuming to do more. I'm not sure at the moment whether I want to break up my series of fiche on generators.

IMG20231217112127.thumb.jpg.e88a7ae126e268b9a2f7f9546b6a8a6a.jpg

IMG20231217112031.thumb.jpg.4aa3ba7ed86a66a5a605c031e4b25945.jpg

• Like 1