Is this a relay.... of sorts ?

Hi, forgive my ignorance on this as I've not come across this type of electrical component before, it's on an ex M.O.D. 1980's FMW diesel tug. I realise this may be a little to young for this site, but any help in advising what it is would be greatly appreciated.

It's a Ford stamped component with prominent number of  12DA B4 7PG  shown on the casing.

Many thanks.

IMG_3922 (2).jpg

IMG_3925 (2).jpg

Many thanks for the reply radiomike7, I'm pretty sure you're correct, it does link up with the glow plug/thermostat wiring to the inlet manifold, although I'm not yet convinced that the system is in working order....too busy clearing endless wasp nest residue after years of outdoor countryside storage. Engine is as you say.

IMG_3046 (2).jpg

3 minutes ago, Nick Johns said:

Blog of restoring another FMW tug, ..petrol engined model

Yes that’s mine, I’ve not heard of such a large engine in on of these before but each one is different it seems! I thought he diesel versions were 1.6L so there’s a possibility that this engine has been transplanted in at a later date. The fact that it says Industrial Power makes me think Transit as on mine there are some Transit parts, it’s 1979.

www.instagram.com/45rn49

FMW produced around 160/170 (so I'm informed) towing tugs for airfield, dockyard, stores use etc. From my limited knowledge, many were eventually disposed of and sold on to shipping and aviation companies, the dozen or so I have come across were all Ford 2.5L diesel engined and used Transit components with a Borg-Warner torque converter, weight approx 2.8 ton.

I must stress that I am refering to the towing tug and not the Matey truck, out of interest I did see a Matey truck on a well known auction site around a month ago.

54 minutes ago, super6 said:

Industrial Power Products is a part of the Ford organisation that sells power trains for oem builders to use in whatever they built. Based on standard production engines found in their more usual products.

https://everythingaboutboats.org/ford-industrial-power-uk/

Many thanks for that, I'll have a read of it later.

4 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

OK, totally off topic but just to keep you all on your toes, which current member of the Royal Family did I respond to in 1972 when asked why their Industrial Power Product supplied item failed for the third time?

Princess Anne

I’d seen it mentioned on here somewhere, on one of the threads - where Princess Anne has written to you about the overdrive failing on the Scimitar that she owned, they’re an iconic car and there was one near my parents house as I was growing up, whilst they are great cars like @sprocket316 I’ve not been in one either! 

3 hours ago, MTH83 said:

I’d seen it mentioned on here somewhere, on one of the threads - where Princess Anne has written to you about the overdrive failing on the Scimitar that she owned, they’re an iconic car and there was one near my parents house as I was growing up, whilst they are great cars like @sprocket316 I’ve not been in one either! 

Sorry chaps, went back to my wiring fun and games on the tug, they might have started life nicely colour coded, but there's always a few wires that have had attention over the years that end up in extensions of yellow/green or some other colour....thank god I've got a cheapo multimeter !  Engine hours clock has never worked since I've had it, its worked on the bench tonight though....bet Princess Anne never had that problem !  Three wires come off the hours clock, one to the Alt Charge dash panel bulb, the other two have yet to be traced....probably need to make some extensions to my multimeter cables !