CVRT Sabre, Jaguar J60 starting problems

Alex2909

Afternoon all,

Soooo. My first problem to be solved and I'm definitely in need of some guidance from you all! 

I was driving the Sabre around a field having recently put about 40 litres of fuel in. She conked out at low speed and then wouldn't restart but the issue is curious and I don't know what to look at, so here's the description of what's happening:

She cranks over on the starter fine and then on gentle application of the throttle, she catches and revs. As soon as I let go of the starter button, she cuts out. Hold the starter in for 2 secs and she revs normally off the throttle. Obviously, I have only tried that once as I don't want to burn it out but given that she turns over and catches and the throttle seems to be working, I'm not sure what to look at. Can anyone help please? 

14 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

IF you are holding the starter in engage it starts and run but when you let go it dies l would check for a ballast resister fault

Hiya, thanks very much for the tip! As an (extremely!) new cvrt owner, could you give me some guidance on where physically it is in the engine bay? 

4 minutes ago, Alex2909 said:

Hiya, thanks very much for the tip! As an (extremely!) new cvrt owner, could you give me some guidance on where physically it is in the engine bay? 

On the front of the engine against the drivers firewall (which you may have to remove along with the drivers seat)

Edited by Diana and Jackie

Instead of poking around in the engine and removing the front armour  you may be able to fit a ballast resistor in the drivers instrument panel, across the terminals of the starter button that shorts the ballast resistor out.- - needs investigating?
Somewhere on here I posted a connection diagram of the DIP as the one from Green Machine Surplus has some mistakes.

Diana

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just to close this one out and thank everyone for their help, it was a loose connection on the main plug that was preventing her starting and ticking over. So my first foray into the world of engine deck off, I fixed that and also changed the coil while I was there to see if that improved her running. It did! She is now running sweetly and happily around the field waiting for the DVLA to go back to work so that I can start the process of road registration! 

Hope you're all keeping well and thanks again for the help!

• Like 2