WD/RE Flea engine lube

Red Rimshot

Hello,

Another Flea question, sorry. 

I have some Castrol D140 oil. This is used in the welbike clutch. It's very thick, almost like syrup. I was planning to mix this with grease to use in the Flea's gearbox. Whilst using 10/40w or the D140 in the clutch.

Have I got it right ? What is the best stuff to use in each please ?

Thanks all.

2 hours ago, Red Rimshot said:

Hello,

Another Flea question, sorry. 

I have some Castrol D140 oil. This is used in the welbike clutch. It's very thick, almost like syrup. I was planning to mix this with grease to use in the Flea's gearbox. Whilst using 10/40w or the D140 in the clutch.

Have I got it right ? What is the best stuff to use in each please ?

Thanks all.

Castrol D140 is a SAE140 gear oil, not familiar with the Flying Flea, but it seems a rather heavy oil for it.

Richard is right. Gear oil is far to heavy for the primary cases. Both the Welbike and Flea maintenance manuals call for ordinary engine oil HD 50.  But you should be able to use heavy gear oil (not EP) in the Flea gear box (The manual quotes oil C600)  Maybe Richard can remind us of the modern equivalent!  Ron

Hello again thanks for the replies. I've cross refd the Sae140 and now I'm a little confused (sorry). I have three 'areas' to lube. 1. Flea gearbox, 2. Flea clutch/prim drive and 3. Welbike clutch.

So are we saying the Castrol D140 is ok in the Flea gearbox and the WB clutch ? The WB does drag a bit so I'd like to thin it down can I mix the D140 with some 10/40 ?

Can I use 10/40 in the Flea clutch?

Sorry again, and thanks. 

6 hours ago, Ron said:

Richard is right. Gear oil is far to heavy for the primary cases. Both the Welbike and Flea maintenance manuals call for ordinary engine oil HD 50.  But you should be able to use heavy gear oil (not EP) in the Flea gear box (The manual quotes oil C600)  Maybe Richard can remind us of the modern equivalent!  Ron

Hi Ron,

Going on what you say above, a Straight 50 engine oil is approx. the same viscosity as a Straight SAE90 gear oil.

Be aware that SAE viscosity numbers do not align between engine and gear oils.

C600 is a Straight 140 gear oil, I know this for sure as we used it in army workshops in certain applications, one being worm drive axles.

• 1 year later...

Castrol "XL"  ( listed in the welbike " operation manual ") Is in fact straight 30 oil, low  detergent.

They do also list Castrol "D" in the same manual for the gear box , unless it makes the clutch drag, then it is recommended that the " XL" oil is put in it.

If you go here : https://classicoilsshop.co.uk/castrol-classic-xl30 , Castrol does in fact still manufacture the "XL" and the "D" , and it is sold in a few different places in the UK.

Edited by jmyakovich
mis information

• 2 years later...

I’m rebuilding a Junior De Luxe engine (not XXE) to put in a replica Welbike I’m buying from Welbike UK. I wanted to find about oils, so got in touch with Villiers services whom i bought a load of engine bits from and they said SAE140 in the clutch housing and mineral based two stroke oil at 20:1 in the petrol.

the Welbike operators manual states M160, which google says is basically SAE140.

I googled the subject and found this thread. There seems to be some difference of opinion here and in other places on the web and 140 is very thick, its what goes in the diff of our Scammell, so thought i’d re-ignite the debate. 

I also found reference somewhere on line to Welbike’s using straight petrol, but that doesn’t seem right.

Thanks. Richard