Schützenpanzer HS 30

On 5/27/2020 at 7:45 PM, daleheywoodtanks said:

Waiting for new seals for tillers !

I still don't quite understand why there are four tillers. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, as my nana says.

Like the Oxford Carrier no doubt, this had two sets of tillers (as did T16 I think). One set of tillers works the brakes in a Cletrac type controlled diff, while the other set work the brakes on the outside for skid steering.

• Like 1

I was told it had 'neutral turn' capability, however, i am not convinced this gearbox or steering unit are capable of that ! therefore, i will run with the theory for now that the two inner tillers are for regular steering, with two separate system per lever, and as Richard said, skid steer options on the outer tillers.

That reminds me, i must force myself to continue with the very mundane task of translating the field repair manual.

Thank you all for input.

Removed rocker cover and sump today. Both surprisingly clean. Thankfully no bits of metal in sump.

Oil was mid brown in colour, the vehicle has been stood for some time. Looked like it has been a while since any kind of a service. No evidence of water in oil. Photos to follow.

Stuck in, what I consider, a mundane section of the refurb at the moment. Sandblasting and repainting every piece of it. I much prefer the strip down part of it, but then comes the rebuild, and hopefully a positive key turn at the end of it !

Ah well, a necessary evil.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Lowfat, i forgot to do the measurement thing for you. I'll get on that.

Been busy with other parts. I had to do a bit of brazing on the coolant header tank. I was aware it had a dent, but sandblasting revealed a small crack that needed to be repaired. I am happy i have the correct paint colours now.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• 2 months later...

What a great thread, keep the updates coming when you are done with your other projects..

Sorry to say, but I remember shooting at these when live firing LAW in Germany, Sennelager I think.. didn't think twice about it then...  but now..! 

• Like 1