Studebaker US6 Contract cards and lighting

DDoyle

Greetings!

I am currently working on a book about the Studebaker US6, which will be comparable to my earlier 504-page CCKW book, and need a bit of assistance.

I would like to hear from anyone who has copies of contract or key cards related to these vehicles.  Unfortunately, I find myself needing this info when my normal sources are closed due to COVID-19, so any reply from this group greatly appreciated.

Also, some British US6 trucks have their headlights on the passenger side fender, others on the driver's side fender, and I have yet to discover the reasoning behind this.  Anyone here have an explanation?

Best wishes,

David Doyle

www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

Edited by DDoyle
better info

The headlight positions would be due to ones that operated in the UK and those that were overseas. I do not know how many US6 trucks continued in service with the British Army post 1950, as this is when the Key Cards were introduced, to convert vehicle records from Census numbers to Army registration numbers.

Thanks for this Richard!

Do you know what Theater/country would have required the single headlight be mounted on the right fender (as viewed from inside the truck)?

Sounds like I can rule out key cards, and am now looking only for people who may have contract cards.

Thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

David

44 minutes ago, DDoyle said:

Thanks for this Richard!

Do you know what Theater/country would have required the single headlight be mounted on the right fender (as viewed from inside the truck)?

Sounds like I can rule out key cards, and am now looking only for people who may have contract cards.

Thanks for the help!

Sincerely,

David

David,

British vehicles had the left hand headlamp working for the UK and when overseas, where driving on the other side of the road, the working lamp was switched to the right hand side. The vehicle wiring diagrams make this point.

34 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

David,

British vehicles had the left hand headlamp working for the UK and when overseas, where driving on the other side of the road, the working lamp was switched to the right hand side. The vehicle wiring diagrams make this point.

Thanks, this is a big help as the Studebaker manuals do not reflect this, as nearly as I can determine.

Best,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  Mike Cecil wrote a short article on the 1200 odd Australian issued US6 trucks. Have you seen the article ? The army reserve here used US6 til 1971 at least 

Edited by goanna
  • Like 2